Chapter 106

WHEN TILLY woke up that morning, Kiho was already gone. But his scent still lingered in the bed– a clear sign that he stayed up all night to guard her.

He really didn't wake me up after three hours, huh?

A few minutes after she woke up, the priestesses came and helped her take a bath. For that morning, she wasn't allowed to eat breakfast because she has to have an empty stomach while lighting the candle for the saint later. Apparently, the tea that she was supposed to drink at the ceremony later tastes awful that she might throw up if she was full.

Gosh, what kind of tea would that be?

Anyway, she went straight to the bath that morning. The priestesses spent hours on making sure that she was immaculate after the bath. Then, they spent more hours in doing her hair and makeup.

And finally, they put on a pristine white dress on her.

In fairness, she looked very fresh today. Her skin was glowing and the dress fit her so well that she might be mistaken for an angel.

Okay, that was narcissist of me but whatever.

After she was dolled up, the priestesses brought her to the High Priest's private office. Apparently, Howard was assigned to teach her about her task at the ceremony later.

"Welcome to my office, Lady Nystrom," Howard greeted her cheerfully. "You look divine."

"I know," Tilly said with a smile that seemed to surprise the High Priest. Oh, right. She was supposed to be modest. "Thank you, Your Eminence."

He just smiled, and then ushered her to sit on the receiving table in front of his desk.

She immediately noticed the medium-sized candle in the center of the table. It was a plain white candle with the symbol of the church engraved to its body. The candle holder was made of pure gold and just like the candle, it looked elegant.

"How was your last night in the temple, Your Grace?"

"Are you asking because you really don't know?" Tilly asked with a smile. "Or do you just want to know if the enemy managed to injure me, Your Eminence?"

""Enemy?"" he asked with wide eyes. "Were you attacked last night, Your Grace?"

He didn't know?

"Someone visited my chamber last night," she said but she purposely didn't go into details. "But they claimed that they were on my side."

It wasn't like she could say that Kiho was with her all night.

"Lady Nystrom, I didn't know about that," he said desperately. "I know that you don't trust me. But I swear to the gods that I don't have anything to do with it."

"It's not important right now," she said in a dismissive tone, then she changed the topic. If the High Priest didn't know about the "visit" she received last night, there was no point talking about it. "Anyway, what am I supposed to do later, Your Eminence?"

She let out a soft gasp. "That's like sleeping in a coffin."

"It was the saint's request to be laid in the altar," Howard explained with a soft laugh. "He's a quirky person."

"A quirky divine person?" Tilly asked while shaking her head. "That sounds troublesome."

***

KIHO felt very uncomfortable while Captain Sherwood was looking at him like he was a puppy excited to see its master after a long time.

Shit, I forgot that His Majesty is going to attend the ceremony as well.

The ceremony was going to be held at Eclis Church– the church where Tilly and him got married. It was in the Royal Capital so yes, they had to travel from the holy city to get there. Of course, the Holy Knights escorted the High Priest.