Chapter 11

TILLY let the Belington Siblings join her table. Now, the two were enjoying their hot tea while she was having her third glass of iced tea. So far, the siblings offering small talk with her. But she could feel it in her bones that they weren't there to talk about boring stuff like the state of her father's business.

But she was playing along with the Belington Siblings because even if her father was a duke and theirs was a marquis, the House Prescott and House Belington were equal in terms of wealth and power in the social circle.

[In short, I just can't pick a fight with them.]

But luckily, all her jewelries had spirit stones. After all, their family had been producing the highest quality of spirit stones ever since her ancestor's time.

Anyway, one of the spirit tones in her bracelet had the magical ability to record voices. During her time in the modern world, she learned that the best way to "burn" an enemy was to keep "receipts" or evidence. If the situation called for it, she would record her conversation with the Belington Siblings.

"Lady Prescott, I heard you're now officially engaged to Captain Kiho," Lady Belington said with a not-so-trusty smile. "Congratulations."

Tilly smiled politely. "Thank you, Lady Belington."

"Are you really going to marry the captain of the Black Serpents?" Sir Belington asked in a somewhat condescending tone. "What would you get if you marry a commoner like him? I can't believe that Duke Prescott allowed Kiho to be his heir."

[Okay, they're starting.]

Tilly discreetly touched the yellow topaz stone embedded on her bracelet. All she had to do to activate its recording function was to press the stone.

[I'm so prepared.]

"Brother, haven't you heard about the High Priest's prophecy?" Lady Belington asked her brother. "According to His Eminency, the future child of Sir Kiho and Lady Prescott is going to be a special existence to the empire. Because Lady Prescott was personally picked by His Majesty, the duke was forced to accept the captain as his daughter's husband and his heir." Then, the lady turned to her and gave her a look full of pity. "I feel bad for you, Lady Prescott. If you need a friend to talk to, don't hesitate to send me a letter."

"Thank you for the offer but I'm fine," Tilly said with a smile. "First of all, my father wasn't forced to accept Sir Kiho as my husband. He accepted the captain because he believes that it's our noble duty to contribute to our empire by fulfilling the prophecy. But most of all, it's my personal choice to marry Sir Kiho."

"But why would you marry a monster like Kiho?" Sir Belington asked. "Lady Prescott, if you're afraid of breaking off the engagement because of the captain, just say so. I will help you."

Tilly already expected that because in her past life, Michael Belington also expressed his intention to steal her away from Kiho. She turned him down then because she wanted to gain the emperor's trust. But right now, she would not only refuse this asshole. She would also stand up for her fiancé. "Why would you do that when I wasn't even asking for your help?"

The siblings looked shocked by her retort.

Tilly knew that the siblings would now show their true intentions so she pretended to fix her bracelet, then secretly pressed the yellow topaz stone. [Bring it on, evil siblings.]

"Excuse me?" Sir Belington asked, obviously offended. "Lady Prescott, I'm willing to go to His Majesty and convince him to stop your marriage with Kiho. We grew up together so I don't want to see you suffer just because of a stupid prophecy."

"My brother and I were only concerned about you, Lady Prescott," Lady Belington told her with a scowl. "How dare you stomp on our good will?"

Tilly sipped her iced tea before she spoke. "It seems like you won't get it unless I spell it out for you so please excuse my being straightforward: Lady Belington, Sir Belington, please mind your own business. My upcoming union with Captain Kiho has nothing to do with you. Your concern is appreciated but not necessary."