Chapter 6 - the river

You and Varian now set off to walk along the river so you two can get to know each other since your now living in the same house.

Its was awkwardly silent until you walk over the bridge and decide to break the silence. "Woah, old Corona looks so... pretty!"

Varian looks over to you when your smiling at the birds in the trees when one comes over to you and perches on your finger

"Awww your so adorable!" The bird crosses his wings, "Oh sorry little guy, your so handsome then." You smile.
"I'm going to call you..... Leo? Is that alright?" The little blue bird tweets happily and then fly back to the trees.

"You're good with animals huh?" Varian smiles at you then walks over.

"I guess I am." You say while taking some bread out of your satchel and giving it to the birds.

"Can I give some to them?" Varian asks.

You nod and pass your satchel to Varian.

Varian gets some bread then sees some valuable and rare items in there. "Where did you find these (___)?!" Varian looks at you with a serious face.

"Oh... Well before I came to Corona the only way to survive was to..." You sigh, "steal..." You frown. "But that's why I came to Corona to get rid of my old life and be the real me."

Varian smiles at you warmly, "well you don't have to anymore (___)." you look up to him with a smile.

"Though your gonna have to return these." He looks at all the jewellery.

"I'll hand them over to the Royals so they can get them to their rightful owners. I suppose there gonna find out anyway especially with wanted posters..." you and Varian smile at each other.

"Race you to the stepping stones!!" You start running to get a head start.

Varian huffs "Hey no fair you started before me!" He runs to catch up.

You beat Varian to the stepping stones and you shout "You coming, slowcoach?!"

Varian pouts, "You started before me!"
He catches his breath before saying "You're pretty fast.."

"Well that's a life of a theif for ya, get caught and your done for..." you sit down in the grass and look at the clear water.

Varian sits down next to you,"(___)."

"Yeah?" You sigh.

"I believe that you've changed, the past is in the past now." He puts a hand on your shoulder then stands up.

"Wanna go across the stones? But be careful they'll be slippy" Varian starts to walk on them.

You shrug, "Sure why not." Varian still has your satchel in his hand but you don't care you trust him.

You're both in the middle of the river now. "Be extremely careful now it's pretty deep here".

Your foot misplaces and you go under.
"(___)!!!" You pop back up from underwater.

"I'm okay Varian." You smile at him. "It's a good job  you have my satchel."

He takes your satchel off and places it on another rock.

He gives you his hand to pull you back up but instead, you pull him in.
"(__)! Great, my dad is gonna kill me for getting us soaked-" you cut him off.

"It's alright Varian I'll say I pushed you in and I jumped in." You smile.

He smiles back, "Thanks (___)..." He puts his hand on his head and doesn't feel his goggles. "Oh no! Oh no no no This CAN'T be happening" he starts panicking. "(___) Can you see them?!?!"

"See what?" You question.

"My goggles!!" Varian snaps. Suddenly he goes quiet.

You look down and see something shiny caught in plants. "I think I see them!"

Varian spots them and sighs, "(___), it's too deep to go down..." He gets out onto the stones and holds in tears.

You see how upset he is and feel guilty, "Varian I pulled you in so I'm going after them." You take a deep breath and go down.

It takes about ten seconds to reach the bottom though it felt longer, you untangle the goggles and get ready to swim back up when something stops you. It was a vine caught on your leg. You start panicking since your running out of breath and try to set your leg free.

It's been another 15 seconds and you still can't break your leg free, you stop as you cant breathe  anymore.

Suddenly, you feel your leg being untangled and you feel someone grab you and swim back up to the surface

It was Varian. He drags you to the side of the river and shouts "(___)! Please wake up!" He starts to cry. "This is all my fault I shouldn't of let you go down.

You wake, "Varian..." you sit up.

"(___)!!! You're okay! I'm so sorry I shouldn't of let you go after my goggles..." You look at him

"Varian it's okay besides I got your goggles." You smile at him

"No... no, it's not okay (___) I could've lost you over some goggles." He looks down.

Its silent for a few seconds.

"You know some smart genius of an alchemist told me this once.." He looks up, The pasts in the past now..." you try to imitate him again.

He pouts "Again, I don't sound like that!" He smiles "but thank you.."

He pulls you in for a hug. And you put your head on his shoulder.

"We should get back V." you smile at him

You grab your satchel and watch Varian stand up.

Varian realises that you've given him a nickname, "Does that mean I have to give you a nickname?" He asks.

"Call me what you like!" You smile as Varian helps you stand up.

"Woah your light!" Varian blushes and rubs his head.

Suddenly you're lifted into the air. Varian has put you on his back and is now walking with you clinging onto his shoulders.

"Don't you dare drop me!' You laugh.

"Trust me I won't... Unless you get annoying then believe me I will." He says playfully."

You smile as you watch the scenery goes past you.