Chapter 10 - Back at old Corona

"Dad! Just tell me where (___) is! Please!" Varian starts to yell at his dad.

"Enough Varian, (___) is safe now! Just leave it at that..." Quirin's raises his voice at Varian.

It was silent.

"You know...It's not the first time you've told me that..." Varian runs off to the house while Quirin stands there, remembering his wife...

It was the same thing he told Varian when she left them. He looks down before continuing to walk to the house.

Varian storms to his house and runs to his bedroom. He grabs all the drawings you've done and looks at them "I had to give up on my mother... but that doesn't mean I'm giving up on you..." He hugs the drawing that you drew of you and Varian watching the lanterns go past Old Corona.

Suddenly Varian hears some little taps on the window. He walks over cautiously then sees a little bluebird.

"Leo? What are you doing here?" Varian opens the window and lets him in.

"Are we gonna have a bird problem as well as a raccoon problem now?"

Varian sees Leo drop a scroll on the table then perches on Varian's shoulder. Varian picks up the scroll and reads it.

-
-
-
-
-
Dear Varian,

                         Don't worry about me I'm fine. Your father and the royals decided it would be "safer" for me to be at the castle, though I would rather be in the lab with "the great and powerful Alchemist!"

I hope You're okay. Write back when you can!

From your best friend,

                      (___).♡

-
-
-
-
-
Varian now has tears in his eyes. He pets Leo's head then goes to his desk to write back.

Varian starts to sing, "Come my darling homeward bound..."

He scrolls up the letter and puts a blue ribbon around it.

He hums, "Wanna get some ham sandwiches before you set off again Leo?"

Leo happily tweets. "Okay little guy"
Varian walks down to the kitchen with Leo still perched on his shoulder.