Chapter 44 - What the hair?!

A few days have passed since you and Quirin made up. Your hair hasn't glowed since, which is a good thing because you've got your energy back since it weakened you.

You shut your journal, "Hey Varian? Are you nearly done on that project? I can't see a thing with the fog." You look around for the window, but instead, you trip and fall.

Varian jumps when you fall and takes off his mask, he looks around for you and helps you up. "Are you okay? Did you get hurt?"

"No, I'm fine just opening a window..." You stand back up.

Varian has been very protective around you lately and it's sweet how much he cares about you, though he's been rather awkward around you too.

You open the window to let out the pink smoke.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT" you hear from behind you.

You facepalm, "Why did he add the voice changer to that mask..."

You overhear someone talking in the background that sounds familiar, "Um hi. So sorry to bother you, sir. I wanted to ask you about my hair. Because you're such a magic exp-"

"MAGIC I DO NOT WORK WITH MAGIC!"

You rush to go see what's happening.

Varian takes off his mask "I mean, it's not technically magic. It's alchemy, but yeah don't sweat it."

Rapunzel laughs nervously, "Got it. So, what is this?"

You come out of the fog, run and jump onto the island, "it's a chemical compound of his own design. See, we have a bit of a critter problem out here, and, through the miracle of modern alchemy, he has found a humane way to solve the problem." You smirk.

Varian takes Ruddiger out of the lab.

"(__)! I didn't know you knew him." Rapunzel looks happy to see you.

"Yeah, we've known each other for ages." Varian laughs.

"This is riveting, but could you get us out of here?" Cass asks.

"Ha! Where is that neutralizing parti-"

"Uh, Varian..." you point behind him to see Ruddiger strolling in.

"Oh! C-Come get outta here! Thanks!" He grins.

"Now where did I put it..." he searches his pockets.

"V, catch!" You throw him the salt shaker.

"Got it! Thanks... again!" He blushes.

He uses the neutralizer, "I am so sorry, Your Highness."

"Your Highness"? Wait. You know who I am?" Rapunzel looks at Varian.

"Uh, how could I not? Look at your hair! Ha! Your highness." He bows.

"Oh, please. Just Rapunzel." She smiles.

"Wow. Really? Okay. So, fantastical stories of your hair returning have spread throughout Corona. Yeah, people say it's magic, but personally, I don't really believe that. Now, as you have probably guessed, I am a man of science, - specifically, al-"

Cass interrupts him, "Alchemy. We know. Now listen, kid. We need your help, but let me make something clear. What happens here stays here, you got it?" She picks him up by the collar of his shirt.

"Hey! Put him down!" You shout.

Cass looks at you confused and puts him down.

Varian clears his throat, "Soo, this way!"