Chapter 24 - A night before a big day

"So kid, I gotta say, you can handle your self pretty well now huh?" Eugene looks at you.

"Well, I suppose I wanted to be just as good as you. Even if you're on the wrong side of the law I still look up to you." You smile at him.

He looks smiles back at you. "Well why dont you go back to the fire I'll go get some more wood, do you I'll get superhuman strength in this hand?!"

You laugh, "Uhm I don't think so though maybe ask Rapunzel."

You walk back and here someone with Rapunzel, you watch behind a bush so they can't see you.

"You don't understand. I’ve been on this incredible journey and I’ve seen and learned so much.
I even met two people." Rapunzel explains.

It was the same women who were staring at her at the snuggly duckling.

"Yes, a wanted theif and a wannabe princess, I'm so proud, come on Rapunzel."

"Mother wait..." Rapunzel sighs." I think he likes me."

You walk away to go collect more wood If you stayed there you would have given away your spot and also to talk to Eugene.

"Oh hey, (___) I thought you were going back to camp?"

"I was... but I wanted to ask you a question." You sigh.

"What's that kid?" He looks at you with a raised brow.

You sigh again," What are you going to do after you take Rapunzel to the lanterns?"

He glances down. "Uhm... I don't know..."

"It's just... I don't want to lose you again Eugene... and I don't think Rapunzel wants to lose you either..." You feel a tear roll down your face.

"Hey, hey, hey... it's okay (___)..." He puts down the wood and hugs you. "I don't want to lose you either... I missed you. I don't like to admit it but I felt lost without you... So much I might have run away from Stallion at the altar." He clears his throat. "Anyway, the Barron and everyone hates me now so I think Flynn has already lost  his reputation."

You laugh, "well I agree with Rapunzel, Eugene Fitzherbert suits you better."

He chuckles slightly. "I'll meet you back at camp... I'ma get a few more pieces of wood."

You walk back when Leo flies to you to show Rapunzel staring in the distance.

"Rapunzel? You okay?" She turns around.

"Oh yeah. I'm fine. Just lost in thought." She smiles.

"I need to ask you something about Eugene."

"Hm? What's that?" You ask.

"Do you think Eugene will run off if I give him this?" She shows you his satchel. "I know you know a lot about him sooo..."

You cut her off, "No I don't know a lot about Eugene... I know a lot about Flynn. But what I do know about him is that he's changed since he met you..." you smile at her.

"So my answer is, Do you trust him Rapunzel?"

"Yes, but can I ask a favour? Can you hold onto this for me until tomorrow I'll get it off you before the lanterns?" Rapunzel asks.

You nod, "sure thing. I'll meet you at the dance then it's just you and Eugene for the lanterns." She smiles at you before Eugene comes back with all the wood.

"Hey uh… can I ask you something? Is there any chance that I’m gonna get super strength in my hand? Because I’m not gonna lie. That would be stupendous." You roll your eyes at him but laugh.

"I mean because here’s the thing. Superhuman good looks, I’ve always had them–born with it, but superhuman strength? Can you imagine the possibilities of this…?" Rapunzel listens again while Eugene blabbers on.

You roll your eyes again this time in boredom. "Good night, guys..."

After a few minutes, you fall asleep with Leo laying on your back.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be magic like the time it was you, Varian and Quirin.