Episode 35

Episode 35/Chapter 1: Great War (1)

TL: Tsubak

ED: Julsmul

A hundred years had passed since the Great War.

That time wasn't short even for the Gods that could live thousands or tens of thousands of years. Although it was short when compared to their life spans, it wasn't so for the collective races.

As time flowed fairly for both humans and Gods, the Gods also felt the time flowing slowly.

A hundred years.

A period of more than thirty thousand years.

In that time, the Gods of Asgard and the giants of Jotunheim stood at the boundaries of the destroyed Erin and Asgard and glared at each other.

The battle hadn't ended. There had been no big battles that would break the balance of the scale, but the small battles kept occurring repeatedly.

Because of that, the giants now showing some movements at the front lines wasn't that big of a deal. The frost giants had always moved troops tens of times a year and provoked Asgard continuously.

But it was a bit different this time.

It wasn't only because Garmr's soul fragments appeared in a bunch.

The God of Thunder, Thor, stood on the walls of the front lines and glared at the giants, and a grand sound that wasn't inferior to rumbling thunder echoed out.

Thor knew his voice.

The God of Hunting, Ullr, who stood beside Thor, had also heard his voice a long time ago.

The God of Messages, Hermod, rode on the wind. He was riding towards the direction the sound was heard with the eight-legged horse, Sleipnir.

Hermod remembered the day he'd first heard that sound. That day was an unforgettable one.

A hundred years ago.

The day the fire of Muspelheim's king, Surtr, burned down Erin.

The day the Great War started.

The sound of the horn trumpet shook heaven and earth, and it grew even louder as it neared Valhalla.

Hermod looked behind him. Thanks to the speed of Sleipnir, faster than the wind, the walls of the front lines were soon at a great distance.

However, Hermod had eyes that could see thousands of miles away, and he could clearly see the unfolding events at the walls as if they were right before him.

The warriors were moving. They were taking their weapons and forming ranks upon the walls. The Valkyries urged those warriors and raised the flags of their legions.

It was a scene that made one's chest burn, a really trustworthy sight.

However, Hermod gulped dry saliva unconsciously. He forcefully turned his eyes away from the walls as it was hard to see it even with his eyes that could gaze a thousand miles away.

Uneasiness was sprouting from a part of his chest, and this was something he had already been through once.

'The Great War.'

Hermod didn't think anymore. His eyes were looking toward Valhalla.

-

A huge fortress existed on top of the rainbow-like Bifrost that connected Asgard and Midgard.

The protector God that guarded the strong fortress, that was able to easily block tens of thousands of enemies, was Heimdall.

He heard the sound of the horn trumpet from Valhalla.