Quarters

Chapter 63:

Quarters

Sora looked dully around at the locker room. She was going through the pre-stage fright phase. Akira was doing a better job concealing it but she could feel her anxiety all the same. The rest of the starting lineup were veterans and it didn't seem to bother them as much. Chihaya was cheerfully throwing towels at Eru who was protesting. Honami was discussing something with the coach.

"It'll be just fine." said Sakura who was sitting next to her. "You're a good player Sora-san. You'll be fine. Unless you give in to stage fright that is...."

Sora examined Eru senpai. She had worked hard with the recon tapes. She wasn't showing it, but Sora could say that she was facing pressure by the stiffness in her shoulders. And she was effectively blocking the towels, which was sort of unusual.... All for good, she supposed.

Finally, they were called out.

**************************************

Sora could almost swear that the gallery was twice as large. There was a really good turnup. Sora spotted the guys sitting in one corner. It was their hair that made them stand out.....

Kuroko waved and Aomine held out a thumbs-up. Sora felt Akira returning the gesture. Midorima pointed at her and held up the number three with his fingers. Then he pointed at Akira and held up the number five. So Leo was third and Aquarius was fifth.... Akashi merely inclined his head. Perhaps it was his way of saying good luck.

And then Sora saw their opponents coming out.

Up close, number 9 looked maybe just a slightly more bigger than what they had imagined. Maybe it was just their imagination.... Eru-senpai had a tough lot. Sora then focused her attention to her actual mark. The point guard who was number 7. Sora now knew a good lot about her play by now and hoped she could make it.

The team left their coats by the bench and went into lineup. They were shortly joined by the Haranishi girls. The refree took his position too.

Tip off!