Finals: Third Q

Note:

The scores are of the form Komagi - Teiko.

Chapter 78:

Finals: Third Q

"Sora?! Are you alright?" said Akira anxiously shaking her.

Akira was slightly creeped out by her expression. Sora had had a slight smile on her face ever since they'd walked out.

"Why shouldn't I be, Akira-san?"

"Did the bloody red-head say anything harsh? Wait till I catch him...."

"Not at all.... He just reminded me about some things I'd forgotten. Nothing more."

"If you say so...."

But Akira was still worried. According to Sora's thoughts, she had brought down the team. Akira was sure she was blaming herself for that. But then again.... why the expression.

************

"Back for more, Hime-sama?" said number 4(pg) when they walked onto the court again.

Akira clenched her hands. Something must be done about that girl..... But to her utter surprise, Sora smiled sweetly in her direction and didn't even bother. Akira's jaw dropped. She wasn't the only one. Number 4(pg) seemed to be equally unnerved.

"Oi, oi. That wasn't exactly a compliment." she said.

"I'm aware." said Sora politely.

Akira gulped. This was probably bad. She wouldn't exchange places with number 4(pg) for anything now.

The ball came into play. Honami took it. She passed it Sora. Number 4(pg) was ready and blocked her immediately. But Sora simply did an overhead pass to Eru.

30 - 29.

Number 5(sf) got the ball. She passed to number 6(pf). Akira and number 6(pf) went head on. Akira took the ball and passed it to Honami. Number 5(sf) blocked Honami. Honami tried to drive past her. But number 5(sf) stepped in the way. Honami avoided fouling her in the nick of time. But she lost the ball. Number 5(sf) passed to number 13(sg).

33 - 29.

"Senpai.....I have an idea...." said Sora.

"Speak up....." said Honami.

"Shall we switch to well sort of...... non-contact play....." said Sora.

Honami wrinkled her forehead. "I think I understand what you're getting at......"

Number 5(sf) got the ball. She passed to number 6(pf). Akira took the ball. She passed to Honami. Honami immediately passed to Eru. Eru shot.

33 - 32.

Chihaya took the ball. She passed to Honami. Honami was blocked by number 5(sf). Instead of trying a drive or anything similar, she immediately passed. Sora was blocked by number 4(pg). Sora passed to Eru. Eru was blocked by number 13(sg). She passed to Chihaya without even thinking. Chihaya managed to get it in.

33 - 34.

From then on, Teiko switched to 'non-contact play' as Sora termed it. They didn't give Komagi a chance to foul them because they simply didn't go close enough to do so. But Komagi however, wasn't in the least put out by it. They continued to give a tough chase. One minute to the end of the third quarter, the score was;

47 - 49.

"You guys don't know when to back down...." said number 4(pg). "I'll give you that...."

"Thank you." said Sora politely.

Number 4(pg) groaned. "Have you lost all sense my girl?"

"I know right...." said Akira who had come up beside her. "It's like she's almost lost the ability to distinguish between compliments and abuse."

"Eh....Are you two ganging up now?" said Sora with a grin.

"Like hell I'd join that tartan!" snarled Akira. Number 4(pg) just made a 'tch' sound.

"It's not over yet. There's one more quarter. See if we don't crush you filth."

"I'll look forward to it." said Sora brightly.

The whistle blew. "The third quarter is over! 47 - 49. Teiko leads!"