Quarters: First Q

Author's note:

Since it is a bit difficult to follow a match using numbers, I'll type the designation of the players next to it. For example, number 9(sg). I hope this makes it somewhat easier to follow.

Chapter 63:

Quarters: First Q

Chihaya took the ball during the tip off. She passed it to Akira who made the shot.

2 - 0.

So far, so good.

Next, the ball went to number 4 who was the power forward. She passed to number 9(sg). Eru tried valiantly to take the ball. But she found that she just couldn't reach.

2 - 3.

"Eh...." said number 7(pg). "Looks like your shooting guard is having a bit of a tough one."

Sora merely shrugged.

"Is it so? Well, something to be expected. Nae-chan is not someone you can pass over easily 'ya know."

(Note: Nae-chan is short for Onee-san meaning sister.)

So her mark was talkative... This was going to be a long one.

Eru was grinding her teeth. But then again, this was something they had expected. In that case....

The ball went to number 8(sf). She tried to pass it to number 4(pf). But Sora intercepted the pass and directed the ball to Akira. Akira managed to score again.

4 - 3.

"Not bad." said number 7(pg). Sora nodded. They could possibly tough it out till the end, but without Eru-senpai, their chances of getting three pointers in would be considerably reduced. This would be an annoying drag to their usual pace. Sora prayed that Eru-senpai would somehow manage to get over her troubles.

The next time when she recieved the ball, Sora passed it to Honami who in turn passed it to Eru. Eru tried to make a shot. But she hesitated for a split second because she was uncertain. In that second, the ball was taken from her by number 9(sg). But this time when she shot, it became a rebound. Chihaya managed to get the ball and passed it to Sora, who passed to Akira. They scored.

6 - 3.

Then there was a time out. Their coach had been the one to call it.

"Eru, do you want to be subbed out?" she said.

Eru just shook her head.

"Then get yourself together. Or else I will. Whether you like it or not. Right now you are the weakest link."

Eru didn't reply.

"Senpai, you have an awesome release speed. Why didn't you shoot?" questioned Sora gently.

"I didn't know if I could get it past her." muttered Eru.

"That's nonsense!" said Chihaya. "Didn't you just see her accuracy? You know, the devil has got a point. Get yourself together Eru. If you do, you can ace this! Besides, we're all in this together."

"Yeah." said Akira. "Count on us if something goes wrong senpai!"

"Eru-senpai, the last thing we're going to do is let them score over your mistakes. Do your best senpai. We have your back..." said Sora.

Eru swallowed. "Fine."

********************

"Didn't you guys have the control on the flow? Why did your coach call a time-out?" said number 7(pg). But Sora was too busy watching Eru-senpai to reply.

The ball went to Teiko this time too. Akira passed to Sora, who passed it to Eru. Eru took a breath and shot blindly. She made it.

9 - 3.

"Way to go, senpai!" said Akira.

Eru also managed to make another shot and the score became 12 - 3.

Haranishi took the ball next. The point guard passed it to number 9(sg). Eru wasn't able to block her and she shot. Chihaya however managed to scratch the ball. But it was taken from her by number 4(pf). She passed to number 8(sf). And together they made a shot.

12 - 5.

The match continued until the score stood at 19 - 11 at the end of the first quarter.

"Your team is not half-bad...." said number 7(pg).

"Thank you. We could say the same of you." said Sora as she headed to the bench.

******************************

"It looks like we're cutting it close." said coach. "I want you to widen the gap in the next quarter. Eru are you up to it?"

Eru nodded.

"Why aren't you trying to stop that point guard? Even though her build is an advantage, it shouldn't be too hard when you look at her skill level. Can't you take the ball from her?"

Eru muttered something that sounded like she was working on it.

"Then come up with something quickly."

The whistle blew. Their break had ended. The second quarter was about to start.