Quarters: Final Q

Author's note:

The scores are of the format Teiko - Haranishi.

Chapter 67:

Quarters: Final Q

The tip-off was much more tense than the previous one. Teiko were the ones with the ball first. Chihaya passed the ball to Akira. Akira was blocked by number 4(pf) and ended up losing the ball. Number 4(pf) passed  to number 8(sf) who passed it to number 10. Haranishi scored.

50 - 41.

Sora could hear Akira cursing under her breath. That almost made her laugh inspite of all the pressure. Akira had been planning to get the first ball in. She had been annoyed that the opponent 'stole' their strategy. This was probably a huge blow to her self-esteem. And it would probably make her play harder.

Sure enough, their shot was closely followed by Akira's lay-up.

52 - 41.

But Haranishi wasn't too far behind. Number 9(sg - c) also managed to get a shot in.

52 - 43.

Next time number 7(sg) got the ball, she passed to number 10(c - sg) who made a rapid pass to number 9(sg - c).

52 - 45.

Sora made a sound of irritation.

"Well, it can't always go your way, can it?" said number 7(pg) sagely.

Number 7 was really starting to get on Sora's nerves. But she had bigger fish to fry. If number 9(sg - c) and number 10 (c - sg) were left to their devices, it would prove extremely bothersome. Especially, this being the last quarter. Something had to be done.

The game progessed in the same pace. Teiko did good on offense but Haranishi kept badgering them inspite of their efforts. Two minutes to the end, the score was,

60 - 51.

Teiko recieved the ball. Honami passed to Akira. Akira was blocked by number 4(pf). Akira passed to Sora, who directed it to Chihaya. Chihaya was blocked by number 9(sg - c). Chihaya could'nt get a clear shot and so she kept wavering. Number 9(sg - c) took the ball easily from her. Just as she got into a shooting position. The ball was knocked out of her hand.

It was Eru.

She managed to make the shot.

62 - 51.

"Way to go, Eru!" screamed Chihaya.

"She's technically the same type as me. Besides, she did'nt see me coming...." panted Eru.

"Nae, wanna switch marks?"

"No way in hell! I just got lucky. There is no way in hell that I'm doing it again."

With Eru's revival, Teiko was back in full force. They played their offense style to the end and won.

Sora vaguely heard the announcer say, "Fourth quarter ends! Teiko wins....."

The score at the end was 68 - 53.

Teiko would now move on to the semis.