Face off!

Chapter 10:

Face off!

Sora watched Akira anxiously. Akira was fidgeting continuously and muttering under her breath. Sora couldn't blame her. The only reason Sora was feigning confidence is that she didn't want to spook Akira more than she already was. Given a chance, Sora would be in the same state Akira was. And besides, Akira was the one who was going to play.

" You'll do fine..." started Sora and then gave up. Akira gave her a tense nod.

The match was going to be a three-on-three. Sora did not know who would be playing from the gom's side as of yet. From their side, Akira, Honami-senpai and Rika would be the starters. Just then Momoi came in.

"Honomi-senpai! Akashi-san, Aomine-kun and Haizaki-san said they would be free. So you'll be playing against them."

Both Sora and Akira paled a little when they heard this. This was decidedly bad news.

Sora turned to Akira. "Umm... Akira-san, this is going to be a bit tough. But remember... All three are primarily offense players. So don't concentrate on defense too much unless you are sure you can pull it off." Akira nodded. Then Sora took a more serious tone and added, "Don't focus on Haizaki when he makes his plays." Akira looked at Sora as if she was mad, but nodded anyway.

Then the gom entered. They looked extremely confident that they were going to ace the match. Sora sighed. They probably would.

A few minutes later, the fiasco began.

Sora found herself mechanically biting her nails. Aomine had taken the ball during the tip off from Akira. But Honami had anticipated it and made a quick double-team with Rika and had taken it. Only for a second. Despite Sora's previous warning Honami hesitated for a second and Haizaki took the ball and shot it. Then Haizaki was the one who went outside and quickly passed to Aomine. Aomine scored in 10 seconds.

Like this the first quarter continued and at the end the score was 8 - 20. Two of Rika's three pointers had gone in, but unfortunately after that Haizaki had decided to step in. Akira and Honami senpai had fought tooth and nail and managed to score a two through combined effort. But considering that it was the gom, it could have been much worse. But what bothered Sora the most was the fact that Akashi had barely touched the ball during the entire quarter. If you put him into the equation...

Akashi came up to Honami senpai who was sitting exhausted on the bench and said something. Honami just shrugged and nodded. Sora went up to Honami senpai. "Nae, senpai? What was that all about?"

"He wanted to shorten the match to two quarters."

Sora frowned. "Why?"

Honami senpai made an 'how-the-hell-should-i-know?' gesture.

Sora went to the bench where the g.o.m were sitting.

"Akashi-san, did you ask senpai to shorten the match?" He nodded.

"Why?"

"What does it matter?" he said in a matter of fact tone "It's sort of obvious everyone on your side is not into this. Besides the result is a bit clear... You guys could use a little more practice before you play with us again."

"But why shorten the match?" insisted Sora.

"Isn't it obvious?" said Aomine bluntly, "There's nothing more to be done. As of now, you guys would have learnt everything you need to in the first quarter." Then he added in a slightly softer tone, "But it's obvious that you guys love basketball. So maybe next time you'll give us a good run. You people seem to have the spirt to do that."

Sora was still dissatisfied. "But--" she began, but Akashi cut her off. "Enough. Even your captain has agreed to this."

"My, my... People want to get beaten up so badly," said Haizaki, "Go home and cry. And while you are at it, pray that the next time goes better... Or should I say less worse?"

Sora clenched her fists. At least the other two had been a bit more polite. Sora stormed away. On a sudden impulse she went up to Honami.

"Captain, I want to play."