One of us

Chapter 12:

One of us

40 - 27

That was how the match ended. One side of Sora was oddly satisfied. At least their score hadn't been doubled by the gom. She had given all she had and could barely stand now. But the other side kept telling her that she could have done a little better. But then again, this was a match with the gom.

Sora mechanically went up to Akira who was in a better state than she was in. Akira immediately understood and escorted Sora to the changing room, where Sora promptly collapsed. It took her approximately fifteen minutes to get ready and come out. When she did, she found Honami talking to Akashi. Honami gestured at Sora to come and speak to her. When Sora went up to Honami, Akashi nodded and took his leave.

"Just in time," said Honami, "Listen up, I'll be a bit stricter with you during practice from now on. Oh, and you need to report to the sports department for your jersey. And get the match timetable from me too. It will be of use. And the recon tapes are in the AV room--"

"Eh?! Senpai, what were you just saying?"

"You're part of the team now."

Sora sighed. "Senpai I told you clearly--"

Honami smirked "Change of circumstances. You remember that guy from your class? Well he recommended me to make you an official member. And he said that he would make sure you joined if you protested."

"He, what?"

"Well yeah... You heard what I said. Anyway, I'm not averse to you becoming a member. Looks like you are one of us now!"

Just then Akira emerged from the changing room. "Woah, Sora-chan! I'm beat! Let's go..."

"Sure. Right after I commit a murder."

---------------------------------------------------------

Akashi was arranging his locker when he heard a loud exclamation behind him. Well he had expected this. He braced himself.

"Akashi-san! You owe me a few explanations."

"Yes?"

"Honami-senpai said that you told her that you would make me join the team for sure."

"Well?"

"Akashi-san! How can you even do that?"

Akashi shrugged and continued to fiddle with his locker. Now Sora became really mad. She shut the door of the locker. Now it was Akashi's turn to glare at her. "May I know what exactly do you expect from me?"

"One good reason why I should join the club officially."

"You know what, if you continue this, I'll stuff you into the top shelf of some locker," he said in an exasperated tone. Sora smiled sweetly.

"Sure. It's fine by me. If you can actually reach it..."

Akashi looked like he had been hit. The corner of his mouth twitched slightly as if he was going to smile, but then he controlled himself.

"Ok, what did you want to know?"

"Why did you want me to join the team?"

"Isn't it obvious? Even though you are not part of the official team, everyone had worked hard to help you play. So what's wrong if you give back something for all their efforts? Besides you love basketball don't you? You'll do fine."

"If you put it that way..." began Sora, who was clearly swayed.

" Just join the team..."

Sora nodded and began to walk away but Akashi stopped her. "And there's one more thing you may want to know..."

"What is it?"

"I took one more small liberty."

"That is?"

"I offered to train you myself. Only if it was necessary. Honami-senpai seemed to be okay with the idea..."

"You what!"

-----------------------------------------------

Akira was waiting for Sora to come out. When she finally did, Akira raised her eyebrows. Sora nodded. "I'm joining the team."

"Yeah!" whooped Akira. Then Akira took up a more serious tone. "Sora-chan... One day I want our team to be the best. In all of Japan."

Sora looked at her friend. "Someday. We'll give all we've got and hope for the best."

"Yeah!"

After a short pause Akira added, "Nae, how did that other thing go?"

"Don't ask."