Semis: Fourth Q

Note:

The scores are of the form Kamiya - Teiko.

Chapter 73:

Semis: Fourth Q

The fourth quarter began. Sora watched anxiously as the two teams played.

Sakura had been subbed in Sora's place. She was basically more comfortable being a shooting guard. So Saki looked as if she was having a field day. For one thing, Sakura's play was not aggressive enough to tackle Saki's play. But still she was valiantly trying to do the best she could. Sora bit her lip. This was probably going to be one of the longest five minutes of her life.

Kamiya had closed the gap to 42 - 49.

Honami got the ball. She passed to Akira. Akira passed to Sakura. Sakura shot. The ball went in.

42 - 52.

Good. This meant that she was warming up to the pace.

Ritsuko took the ball. She passed to Saki. Sakura tried to block Saki. But Saki easily passed her. This made Akira try to block Saki. Saki  simply passed to number 6(pf) who was free. Number 6 scored.

44 - 52.

Ritsuko got the ball again. She passed to number 6(pf). Number 6(pf) passed to Saki. Saki used her formless to get the ball in.

46 - 52.

Sora heard the coach make a slight 'tch' sound. Kamiya was steadily closing the gap. This could be bad....

Honami got the ball. She passed it to Chihaya. Chihaya was blocked by Ritsuko. She passed to Akira. Akira made a drive around number 6(pf) and scored.

46 - 54.

Sora cheered. Good ol' Akira. Then again, nothing could keep Teiko down for long when it came to things like winning.....

But Kamiya too didn't sit back and take it. Number 7 managed to get a couple of three-pointers in making the score

52 - 54.

Akira got the ball. She passed it to Honami. Honami shot. Rebound! Chihaya managed to slam it in in a second.

52 - 56.

Just then coach rose. "Five minutes are up." she said. "You're going back in."

**************

"Welcome back, kouhai." said Chihaya with a grin.

"Let's go Sora!" said Akira winking.

"Fired up are we?" said Saki smiling.

"Well, yeah." said Sora. "You benched me for half of the fourth quarter. I'm not the forgiving type when it comes to these things."

Honami got the ball. She passed to Akira. Akira was blocked. So she passed to Sora. Saki tried formless on her again. But Sora stalled and bounce-passed to Akira who had managed to free herself.

52 - 58.

Ritsuko got the ball. She tried passing to Saki. But Sora intercepted the pass before it reached her. Saki tried to take the ball and Sora kept blocking her. The two moved slowly until they were quite near the hoop. Sora suddenly passed the ball backwards to Eru. Eru shot.

52 - 61.

Number 6(pf) got the ball. She passed to number 10(sf). Honami blocked number 10(sf). Number 10(sf) passed to number 7(sg).

55 - 61.

Number 10(sf) got the ball. This time, Honami quickly took it from her. She passed to Akira. Akira passed it to Eru. But number 7(sg) kept blocking Eru to prevent her getting a clear shot. Eru passed to Sora. Saki tried to take the ball. Sora passed it to Akira. Akira tried to shoot because she couldn't find anyone to pass to. But she had shot from too far. Rebound. Both Chihaya and Ritsuko jumped. but Ritsuko was the one who took the ball. She passed to number 7(sg).

58 - 61.

Honami got the ball. Number 10(sf) blocked her. Now Honami faced the same problem that Akira had. She couldn't find anyone to pass to. So she went with instinct and passed to Sora. Luckily, it paid off. Sora got the ball. She and Saki both moved towards the hoop. Sora was unable to get a clear enough pause to shoot. Then out of the corner of her eye she saw Akira. Immediately she raised her arms and shot.

58 - 63.

Her instincts had turned out to be correct. Akira had screened her at exactly the right moment.

Ultimately the match boiled down to team work. Both teams were marking each other very tightly. Whoever managed to find gaps and utilize it managed to score. The score became.

60 - 67.

Chihaya got the ball. She passed to Sora. Sora passed to Eru. But number 7(sg) knocked the ball from her hands. Chihaya picked it up and went towards the hoop. Ritsuko blocked her. She passed to Akira. Akira made a drive past number 6(pf). But she was blocked by Ritsuko. She passed to Chihaya. Chihaya passed to Sora. Sora passed it to Eru again. Eru scored.

60 - 70.

Just then the referee blew the whistle. "The fourth quarter is over! Teiko wins!"

Both teams dragged their feet to the line up.

"You guys did it." panted Saki. "How do you guys even do this?"

"I'll..... tell... . you....as.....soon....as....I...can....talk." replied Sora.

***********************

Back in the locker room, Sora collapsed onto the bench.

They had won. Teiko would be playing the big game.....