Glimpse of a demon

Chapter 40:

Glimpse of a demon

"We're not playing one on one again!" declared Aomine.

Akashi nodded. "It's better if we improve our techniques."

The others nodded ignoring Sora's silent protests and vigorous head shakes.

"Akashi-san, can I just shoot hoops?"

"No."

Just then Haizaki entered. He swore loudly causing everyone to pause.

"Haizaki-san, could you not do that?" said Sora, who was not too fond of swearing.

Haizaki swore again. This time it was even worse.

Sora flinched. "Language!"

"Or else what?" he sneered.

He then proceeded to rudely snatch the ball from Kuroko and rammed it in the hoop.

"Score goes to me."

"Haizaki. Whatever troubles you are facing, keep it out of the court. It's not good to take it out on innocent parties or inanimate objects," said Akashi.

"Shut it. You really think you know everything don't you."

Akashi raised his eyebrows but didn't answer.

"Enough is enough--" began Aomine.

"Look who's mouthing now. It's our dear ore-sama. I can't believe I stood being with you losers so far. Damn practice! Count me off." Saying so he simply swaggered out of the court.

Akira was the first to break the silence.

"That was really... Unexpected?"

Sora nodded.

"No it wasn't," said Aomine bitterly, "He always does that when he's angry. Recently it's just become more frequent. You two don't know him well enough."

"Apparently he's been having trouble with a second year girl. Maybe it's that..." added Satsuki. "Either way, he's a misogynistic jerk!"

"Whatever he is, he shouldn't be skipping practice," muttered Akashi.

"Sometimes I feel like informing senpai!" said Satsuki, "But that feels a bit tattle-taleish..."

"Nothing can be done in the present. Let's hope he gets out of it like he usually does eventually, nanodayo," said Midorima.

But Sora had an useasy feeling about Midorima's prediction.

--------------------------------------------

Sora turned up a bit late the next day and found that neither Haizaki nor Akashi were there.

"Where are Akashi-san and Haizaki-san?"

"Haizaki didn't turn up," said Aomine shortly.

"I don't think he's going to attend practice regularly anymore," said Murasakibara, "He had a stubborn look on his face yesterday."

"He's found some other scape-goat replacement," said Satsuki with venom.

"And what about Akashi-san?" inquired Sora.

"He went to fetch Haizaki, nanodayo," said Midorima.

"He looked a bit angry..." added Akira.

"Should I go fetch him?"

"You could try, nanodayo..."

---------------------------------------------------------

Sora found Akashi prowling the corridors.

"Two full rounds!" he snarled as she approached, "I don't believe he is in the school anymore! He must have left."

"Hey, I'm not the one skipping practice," said Sora, holding up her hands in a gesture of mock surrender.

"I can't believe I took responsibility for him!"

"Senpai probably won't blame you," she said shrugging.

"There's no excuse!"

"Calm down. Besides, you're missing practice too."

"I'm not coming until I find him."

Sora sighed. "Akashi-san, even if you find him, what good will it do? You can't force him to practice. It's no use if he doesn't put his heart in it anyway..."

He threw up his hands. "Fine."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Fortunately or unfortunately, both of them ran into Haizaki on the way back. Akashi made a visible effort to control himself.

"Couldn't find me could you..." goaded Haizaki.

Akashi didn't make any comment.

"Scurry to practice, shortie."

Akashi merely turned to glare at him.

"Aren't going to arrest me?" said Haizaki, probably pleased that his efforts were paying off.

"I wash my hands off you."

"Eh... So that's how it is..."

"Yes."

"Who cares," he said turning away, "Count me out hereafter."

"You got to appreciate his nerve--" said Akashi thoughtfully watching him leave.

"Yeah. Or kill him for it..." said Sora.

He chuckled. "Let's go. We're missing practice."

"Yeah."