Aomine vs. Murasakibara

Chapter 34:

Aomine vs. Murasakibara

As expected, Aomine wanted offense first and Murasakibara was only too happy to get defense.

"A formless player versus a center... This ought to be good," commented Sora.

"Especially when they both play their strengths," added Akashi.

"Virgo is fourth today, nanodayo," put in Midorima.

The match was about to start. Aomine dribbled the ball beyond the half court line to let out some of his restlessness. Murasakibara just stood at the center and waited.

"Eh... I thought he would be a bit nearer to the hoop..." said Sora.

Akashi chucked. "Don't underestimate his defense range."

Aomine started. He just ran in really fast. Murasakibara on the other hand was in no real hurry. Aomine, perhaps discouraged by the lack of apparent interest from the other side, went for a shot. That was where he erred. Murasakibara easily stopped the ball just before it went through the hoop. He put it in.

0 - 1.

"Fired up today, aren't we Atsushi?" said Aomine.

"On the contrary, Mine-chin, I'm really hungry. Let's finish this quickly. I'll get an ice!"

"Again... I never said I'll buy you one! Anyway, it's not like I'm worried. No way in hell I'd lose."

This time, Aomine played defense.

Murasakibara just went in coolly. Aomine, being a much more energetic player, took the ball from him. Murasakibara didn't put in much effort to prevent him. But when Aomine went to score, he started defending the hoop with much animation. This time however, Aomine dunked.

1 - 1.

"It's like both of them are insisting on playing their strengths..." said Sora.

"There's no point of switching offense and defense!" said Akira. "Why don't they just play the same thing continuously and be done with it?!"

"Is it good for them though?" mused Sora. "Too much specialization can sometimes create gaps in your play..."

"Anything is fine, as long as you know what you are doing." said Akashi.

"Better be through with one style, rather than a dozen half-baked ones, nanodayo." joined in Midorima.

Meanwhile, on the court, Aomine had taken the offense position.

He rushed in and kept changing his direction, as if to keep Murasakibara off his track. He then got into a position to do a fadeaway. This drew Murasakibara towards him. They both jumped at the same time. It was then that Aomine revealed that he was faking, and went around him and managed to score.

2 - 1.

Murasakibara was on offense. He slowly walked in. When Aomine attempted to take the ball, he just kept switching hands and blocking him. This way, he made his way surely but steadily and made a shot.

2 - 2.

"What the hell was that Atsushi!"

"Mine-chin, you have so much stamina! What do you eat?"

"That has nothing to do with this!"

Aomine was on offense. He ran in as usual. He attempted to pass Murasakibara with a drive and succeeded. He just threw in the ball after that. The ball bounced slightly at the rim and went in.

3 - 2.

"Did his scratch his face on the ground doing that formless?" said Akira squinting.

"How do I know? And more importantly... How did the ball even go in!" replied Sora.

"That's formless. Even though it looks really haphazard, it's a really refined technique, nanodayo." said Midorima.

This time when Murasakibara was on offense, he tried the same method again. Aomine kept following him, waiting for his chance. That arrived when Murasakibara raised his hand to shoot. Aomine knocked the ball and scored quickly.

4 - 2.

"Hurry up Atsushi. Want your ice or not?" said Aomine teasingly.

"Mine-chin is so mean!"

Aomine was offense. He surged in again. This time when he went for a close range shot, Murasakibara forced the ball out his hand and dunked it in himself.

4 - 3.

"You're irritating, Atsushi...." said Aomine with a grin.

This time Murasakibara was offense. He came in. Aomine took the ball from him. Murasakibara went near the hoop. Aomine jumped as if for a dunk. Murasakibara jumped to. But Aomine retained the ball. While both of them were falling, he attempted a formless shot. It went in.

5 - 3.

Aomine won.

"You are so cruel, Mine-chin. Luckily, I have some spares, so I won't need the ice. Want a biscuit?"

"To hell with the biscuit! Anyways, good match."

"Thanks, Mine-chin. Are you sure about the biscuits?"

"Yeah. I'm pretty sure."