Finals: Head on

Note:

The scores are of the form Komagi - Teiko.

Chapter 76:

Finals: Head on

Chihaya was the first one to get the ball. She passed it to Akira. Akira in turn passed to Honami. Honami was blocked. So she passed to Chihaya who was on the inside. Chihaya found herself double teamed. One of them tried to shove. Chihaya dodged but lost the ball to the other one. Komagi got the ball. The ball went to number 13(sg) who scored.

3 - 0.

"What the hell was that?" said Akira coming up to Sora.

"I am the last person you should be asking..... Wait, did they just fake a foul? What the heck are they doing...."

"I know right...."

Sora had gathered that something was wrong from the tapes. But she had never seen something like this coming. For the first time, a slight doubt about Teiko's abilities crept in. This had been one of the few matches Teiko hadn't got the first ball in. Hell, it was the only match. And they were not used to not having the first say.

"A little revenge?"

"Hell yeah."

Honami got the ball. She passed to Akira. Akira passed to Sora again. They used their rapid pass technique. They scored from the inside.

3 - 2.

"Looks like two peas in a pod. Well they can't get all high and mighty with a two. What do you think?" said number 4(pg) addressing number 8(c) again.

"Eh.... People on high pedestrials have the longest to fall. Let's see if we can reduce the swelling in their head a bit."

Sora saw a vein twitch in Akira's forehead. Not exactly a good sign. Akira could be very hot tempered even in the best of times. Sora had no doubts about their foul record now. They'd probably asked for it.

Number 6(pf) got the ball. Akira immediately went head on. Number 8(c) came to her aid. Akira charged regardless. The result was obvious.

The referee blew his whistle. "White. Number 9. Charging!"

Sora restrained herself from screaming. Barely two minutes had gone by.

Number 4(pg) received the ball. Honami took it from her and passed to Chihaya. Chihaya passed to Sora and Sora to Eru. Eru scored.

3 - 5.

"Sora pass a bit more to me." said Akira stiffly as she passed. Sora internally scoffed. Like hell she was passing to Akira in full blown revenge mode.

"Oh my." said number 4(pg) seemingly addressing number 6(pf). "Looks like we have a lover's quarrel. Too bad."

Sora clenched her fists. Number 4(pg) was really asking for it. She didn't even have the guts to goad them directly and get a warning. Still nothing could be done.

Chihaya got the ball. She passed to Honami. Honami passed to Sora. Sora did a drive around number 5(sf) and passed to Honami again. Honami scored.

3 - 7.

"Eh.... Never underestimate oldies." said number 8(c) to no one in particular.

"She's your senpai. Have respect." snarled Akira.

"Oh. The ball's about to come into play." said Sora in an effort to distract Akira. It worked. Barely.

Honami got the ball. She passed to Chihaya. Chohaya passed to Akira. Akira was blocked by number 6(pf). Akira was so determined to get through that she didn't notice number 5(sf) behind her. She was backtipped. Number 5(sf) passed to number 13(sg).

6 - 7.

Sora swore silently. "Akira-san, watch it!"

"Got it." said Akira humbly. Losing that ball had made her sober again.

Number 4(pg) got the ball. She passed it to number 6(pf). Akira blocked her. Number 6 made a drive around Akira and ran towards the hoop. Akira pursued her in full speed. Number 6(pf) suddenly decreased her speed. Akira couldn't control her momentum and cannoned into her.

The referee blew the whistle again. "White. Number 9. Charging."

Soda's jaw dropped. She couldn't grasp what was going on. This meant Akira had got two fouls in the first quarter itself. This was bad.

Coach used this chance to sub Akira out. Sora felt genuinely bad for her. None of this was her fault.

Komagi got a free throw and made it.

8 - 7.

Sakura had been subbed in instead of Akira. In a way, this could be advantageous. Sakura was much more placid than Akira. It would probably take a lot to goad her. Besides, Akira would be back soon after cooling her head.

Chihaya received the ball at the start and passed to Sora. Sora passed to Sakura who shot. The ball scratched slightly, but made it.

8 - 10.

Number 5(sf) got the ball. But Honami took it from her. She passed to Eru. But Eru was being dogged by number 13(sg). She shot too soon. Rebound!

Chihaya ran under the hoop closely followed by number 8(c). Chihaya took the ball in the nick of time and passed to Eru again. This time, it went in.

8 - 13.

Number 4(pg) got the ball. She quickly passed to number 8(c) who passed it to number 13(sg).

11 - 13.

Number 5(sf) got the ball. She passed to number 13(sg). But there was a rebound again. Chihaya jumped and took the ball again. But this time when she landed, number 5(sf) was standing close to where she jumped. They collided.

"White. Number 5."

Komagi was awarded a free throw again.

13 - 13.

Sora could see Chihaya visibly grinding her teeth. But luckily she didn't say a word.

Number 8(c) giggled. "Wow, that must have been painful."

"You have no idea. She was like a bull." responded number 5(sf).

To Sora's surprise, Eru was the one who spoke up. "Please be polite. This is just a match. We don't have any grudge against you as far as I can remember. So there's no necessity for your words."

Number 4(pg) chuckled. "Oh, it's nothing personal sweetheart."

Luckily, before Eru could react Chihaya was on the scene. "Ah.... I heard you. Looks like lil' Eru does care about me afterall." she said rubbing Eru's head.

"Chi-chan, my hair!" protested Eru. But she smiled warmly. Sora smiled too. At least this had backfired on them.

Number 8(c) got the ball. She passed to number 4(pg). Sora hesitated just a bit before tackling her head on. This gave her a gap long enough to pass to number 13(sg). She made it.

16 - 13.

Chihaya got the ball. She passed to Sora, who bounce passed to Eru.

Just then the whistle blew.

"The first quarter is over! Score 16 - 13. Komagi leads."

**************

Dumbfounded.

That precisely described the situation. None of the team members spoke. They didn't know what to say.

Sora was disappointed. Akira would be subbed in only in the third quarter or if things got real bad. But it was probably wise in the current situation.

Given the current scenario, no one probably wanted to go back in. This was different from their matches so far. This was one of the matches that left a bad taste in the mouth.

The whistle blew. Honami got up with a slight air of lethargy. "Suppose it's time to go."