She-devil

Chapter 56:

She-devil

EARLIER:

"Hurry up, Akira-san!"

"Can you please control your excitement?"

Classes were finally over. Sora and Akira were more eager than usual for practice. Today, they would get to finally meet the elusive coach of the girls' team!

The coach had taken a long holiday for the first two term. For what reason, they weren't exactly sure, but the important thing was that she was back.

Both of them reached the court panting. To their utter disbelief, Honami, Chihaya and Eru were already there. Usually, Sora and Akira were the first to arrive.

"You're late kouhais." said Honami grimly.

Sora's instincts screamed that something was wrong here.

"Umm.... Senpai, it's not even five minutes since the bell rang..."

"Did you two run?"

"Not exactly....

"Then, you're late."

Sora stared at Honami in disbelief. Honami was standing ram-rod straight. Usually, Honami wasn't too concerned about timing. You showed up, you practiced to satisfaction. Rest is up to you. That was how she had been like. Until now at any rate.

Sora heard someone coming up behind her. She turned. It was the coach.

A little description would probably be in order. Yatori Sayo was the coach's name. In some contexts, she could even be described as pretty. If it weren't for the tiniest sour-lemon expression on the corner of her mouth.

"Shut the door, Honami." she said addressing the air in all probability.

"Umm, coach, only six of us are here." pointed out Honami slowly.

"That's more than we need. I'll deal with the latecomers. Double training. Because it's my first day."

Sora's unease had reached it's pinnacle. The coach surveyed the six of them.

"I've been on a long holiday. Too long. I'm Yatori Sayo, head coach and manager of the girls' team. Pleased to meet the new ones. Since I've been away for long, I don't know what your skills are. So split up into teams of three. We'll have a small match. Oh and people of the same year are not teaming up." At the last line she looked pointedly at Chihaya and Eru.

And so they duly split up. Honami, Chihaya and Akira on one side and Sora, Eru and Sakura on the other.

And then they began to play. They were playing for ten minutes when they were asked to stop. The score stood 22 - 19 for the respective teams.

"Chihaya, please explain what you were trying to do."

Sora noticed that Honami flinched at this.

"I don't exactly know what you mean." said Chihaya with a slight air of tetchy stubbornness.

"When that girl" said coach gesturing to Sora came near the hoop you went to meet her didn't you?"

"Yes."

"And she passed to Eru. Who scored."

"I'm aware."

"Tell me when you went forward, did you leave someone to defend the hoop? Because I'm sure no one would rush forward leaving the hoop exposed."

Chihaya silently stared at the floor.

"So you just rushed in. Without thinking."

Still silence.

"Ten laps. Outside."

Chihaya looked up in dismay. She had a slight cold and it was raining outside.

"Sensei..... I think I may be down with something."

"So?"

Chihaya just looked down at the floor. Sora was shocked. She looked at Honami, but Honami had developed a sudden interest in the window. No way....

The coach went around telling the rest about their play. Everyone quietly took their doses. Then they were asked to play again.

This time, it was Akira who got caught.

"Your drive.... Do you ever think of feinting? Your moves are so predictable. You can't rush in like a mad bull...."

"Sensei, she makes up by power. It's sort of tough to feint in spontaneous play." said Chihaya in an undertone. Unfortunately, it was clearly audible in the silence.

"What was that Chihaya?"

Chihaya realized that she had dug her own grave too late.

"Spontaneous or not, it's always good to have something up your sleeve. Otherwise, you can never be assured of victory...."

In the end, Chihaya received another twenty laps. She was asked to do it immediately. Sora couldn't keep quiet.

"Umm... Sensei, I think senpai has a cold...."

Coach turned.

"Your point being?"

"Well.... There's a chance of it worsening. In this rain...."

"Is it so?"

Sora looked down.

"Wasn't she your opponent in this match?"

"Yes."

"Then there's no reason for you to help. Two on three would have served your team better right?"

Sora looked at the floor.

"So you're not convinced.... Win. By any means. Hook or crook, think of only that."

Sora still made no answer.

"Fine. Then you do it." said coach.

Sora looked up in horror.

"Since Chihaya has a cold, you can do it for her. Thirty laps. Finish it and you're free."

"But sensei...." began Chihaya.

"No buts. Your kouhai's concern overwhelms me. So I'm giving her a chance."

"Sensei....."