Sora vs Akashi

Chapter 36:

Sora vs Akashi

Sora and Akashi headed towards the court.

"Good luck chibi!" screamed Akira, looking at Sora. When she did that, both Akashi and Sora turned to glare at her and then looked at each other, trying to determine who she meant before reacting further. Akira laughed.

"Fine. Both of you do well."

"Offense or defence, Himeji-san?" asked Akashi.

"Why don't you pick?"

"They're all the same to me," he said and then added, "Ladies first."

"Defense."

"Right."

Sora got ready for defense. Akashi dribbled outside the line. He kept doing that for half a minute. Sora, on the other hand, was staring at the floor.

Akira snapped. "Why doesn't he go in?" she whispered to Aomine, breaking the silence.

"He's trying to figure out what to do. On the off chance that he does go in wrong, Himeji will block him immediately. Look, she's watching his feet. It's slightly harder to feint when your opponent does that."

"But if it becomes a question of physical skill, isn't Akashi-san more than capable of dealing with her?" queried Akira.

Aomine threw up his hands. "How the hell do I know what he's thinking. Besides, this is all that I can read."

Just then Akashi got in quickly. Sora was able to anticipate his direction, but Akashi passed her with a drive. Sora went for a back tip. The ball bounced about once before Akashi caught it again. He went for a scoop shot. But Sora took the ball as he shot it and shot at once.

1 - 0.

"Good," said Akashi, as they went back to take their positions.

"What are you talking about... My play was so messed up--"

"I know. I was talking about the shot. Your release speed has increased. Other than that... Yeah."

"That was blunt..."

"Consider it for your own good."

"Messed up?" said Akira to Aomine. "Didn't she score?"

Aomine shrugged. "I don't know how it works..."

"Akashi usually values strategy over acutal force of play. Maybe he's talking about that, nanodayo."

"Who knows..."

Sora had started offense. She walked two steps in dribbling the ball. Akashi made no move to counter it. Sora remained in the same position dribbling.

"Is the entire match going to take this long?" commented Akira, sarcastically, "If so, I'll go and catch a nap..."

Finally, Sora moved forward, switching to her left hand and going for a drive. Akashi moved left as well. But at the last minute, Sora switched the ball to her right in mid-dribble. She came to the other side with the ball, only to have it taken from her. Akashi scored.

1 - 1.

"So you haven't trained your left hand after the first few weeks, after all... Take time to do it, otherwise it will be a dead giveaway."

"Well, it doesn't matter since only a few know that..."

"Well I do. And that's a big hole in your play and makes your plans see through. For all I know, it could cost you this match."

Sora made no reply, and just gestured for Akashi to take his place behind the half court line.

"It's no wonder she learnt quickly..." muttered Aomine, "If I had to face this every week, I'd probably have nightmares."

"Poor Sora-san..." said Akira, making a sympathetic noise.

Akashi seemed to be taking his time again. He started with a high dribble. When Sora came to intercept him, he switched hands and threw it behind. He went to pick it up, and was blocked by Sora. He back tipped her when she went near the hoop and scored.

1 - 2.

Sora started the match. She came in with a high dribble. Akashi took the ball. Sora kept blocking him. He came under the hoop and tried to go into a shooting pose. Sora took the ball then and scored.

2 - 2.

"Eh... Not bad. Looks like I underestimated you again."

"Should I thank you for the compliment or something--"

"No need. If I let you win now, you might get out of hand. No use holding back then..."

Akashi was on offense. This time he entered almost immediately without giving any sort of indication. Before Sora had time to react, he scored.

2 - 3.

"This again?" said Sora, shaking her head to clear it.

"Yes."

Sora was on offense. This time she also wasted no time entering. But Akashi easily took the ball from her and got it in.

2 - 4.

"Come on, Himeji, you did better long ago."

"Quiet."

Akashi was offense again. He waltzed in and scored again.

2 - 5.

"I won Himeji-san."

"Yes."

"Which means you run ten rounds with the others."

"I will."

"Go on."