Finals: Quit it!

Note:

The scores are of the form Komagi - Teiko.

Chapter 77:

Finals: Quit it!

The first quarter had ended in a horrible way according to Teiko. 16 - 13. Not a good omen. They were quite determined to get their own back.

Honami got the ball. She passed it to Chihaya. Chihaya in turn passed to Sora. Sora passed to Eru. But number 13(sg) knocked it out of her hands. She passed to number 5(sf). But number 5(sf) was blocked by Honami. Honami went one on one. At one point, she tried to bump into Honami. But Honami side-stepped, went around her and backtipped. She passed to Eru.

16 - 16.

This was the first time they had evaded Komagi completely. Chihaya gave a small whoop.

"Number 5....." said the referee in a warning manner.

Sora felt like facepalming. After all that happened, the geezer had noticed only this.

Honami took the ball again. She passed to Sora. Sora was blocked by number 4(pg). Sora dribbled the ball meditatively.

"Missing your twin?" commented number 4.

But Sora was waiting for her to talk. She used that gap to make a drive. She passed to Sakura who happened to be free. They got it in.

16 - 19.

Sora grinned at number 4(pg). Teiko seemed to be on fire again.

Number 5(sf) got the ball. She passed to number 4(pg). Sora tried to take it by a backtip, but number 4(pg) evaded it. She passed it to number 13(sg). Eru took it from her and shot. Rebound. Chihaya took the ball. She was blocked by number 8(c). She passed to Honami who got it in.

16 - 21.

But Komagi was not far behind. Number 13 managed to get a shot in.

19 - 21.

"Eh, chasing are you...." commented number 4(pg).

Sora looked at her carefully and nodded.

"Don't let it get to your heads. You're just as pathetic as you were in the first quarter."

Sora bit back a retort. It wasn't wise to give in to her goading. Besides, she wasn't exactly skillful at doing things like that and she might end up getting a warning. That wasn't exactly fair to Akira after she had lectured her.

The ball came into play. Number 6(pf) took it. She went past Sakura. Sora went to block her. Number 6(pf) tried a drive. Sora started to turn and then let her pass. That was lucky. Number 4(pg) was only a step behind. If she had turned in her usual pace, she would have gotten a foul. Number 6(pf) scored.

21 - 21.

"This is bad kouhai...." whispered Chihaya.

"Yeah. Senpai, I think I'm onto something..... A little help?"

"With all the pleasure in the world."

Number 8(c) took the ball. She was blocked by Chihaya. She passed to number 6(pf). Number 6(pf) passed Sakura. Sora blocked her again. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see number 8(c). If she took the ball, number 8(c) would backtip. So....

Number 6(pf) tried a drive. Sora took the ball. As expected, number 8(c) was ready and took it from her. But Teiko had planned just one step ahead. Chihaya backtipped number 8(c). She scored.

21 - 23.

Sora just couldn't resist it. "We're back...." she muttered. Number 4(pg) heard her. She turned and clicked her tongue. She surveyed Sora with an almost viciously contemplative stare. Sora ignored her.

Honami took the ball. She was quickly double teamed by number 5(sf) and number 6(pf). They took the ball. Number 6(pf) passed to number 13(sg).

24 - 23.

Sora fixed her eyes on the ball. There was no way she was looking at number 4(pg) just now.

Sakura had the ball. Number 6(pf) tried to take it. She used more force than actually necessary. The ball bounced on the court. Honami and number 5(sf) ran towards it at the same time. Honami took the ball, but in lowering her hand, she accidentally hit number 5(sf).

"White. Number 4."

Komagi got a free throw.

26 - 23.

Chihaya got the ball. She quickly passed to Sakura.

26 - 26.

Number 5(sf) got the ball. Honami took it from her. She passed to Sora. By that time, Sora's nerves were at breaking point. She had been used as a whet stone for number 4's (pg) comments for the enitre day. That girl seemed to have the most acidic tongue of the lot.

"Eh....Looks like Hime-sams's received the ball again. Go on... You're a lost cause sweetheart. Do your worst. It took me only half a quarter to bench your dear friend. Let's try the same...."

(Note: Hime-sama means princess. Number 4 is sarcastic when she uses it.)

Sora acted as if she was possessed. She rushed past number 4(pg) with all the force she could muster. Naturally, number 4(pg) stepped in her way and got hit. Badly. She fell down.

The referee blew the whistle. "White. Number 11. Charging. Two free throws."

Number 4(pg) winced slightly and then grinned. "My bad my lady, my bad....."

30 - 26.

Within a few seconds, the second quarter was over. Teiko was four points behind.

*******************

There wasn't much talk in the locker room. Coach was looking contemplatively at Sora. Sora squirmed. It was her fault. Entirely. They were four points behind.

No one had critized her as of yet. Honami had simply patted her head. But still she felt really uncomfortable. Akira was fidgeting. She would be in the next quarter. Sora hoped the same could be said for her.

There was a knock on the locker door.

"Yes?" said coach.

"May I speak to Himeji?" said a familiar voice.

Sora looked at coach who nodded. She went outside. As expected, Akashi was waiting a short distance away.

"You're messing up." he said as she came near.

Sora sighed. She had been expecting about ten people to say those very words and none of them had done that. Hearing them was a sort of pitiful relief.  She nodded at the floor unable to look up.

"You not only slipped, you draggged the entire team down."

No answer.

"Why?"

"She talks....." said Sora, unable to go into the finer details.

"So?"

"But...." said Sora looking up exasperatedly. He quickly put his finger over her lip.

"Words are wind. Isn't that what they say? If you don't like what she says, show her the absolute truth. Win. The best in Japan or the second best in Japan....decide which sounds better."

He turned to leave and the turned.

"Himeji......I've been watching the first two quarters. Please don't disappoint me any further."

Sora watched him leave. Absolute truth huh.....