First hurdle

Chapter 62:

First hurdle

"Haranishi high?"

"That's right."

Sora looked at Satsuki in amazement.

"Satsuki-san, how do you even know this stuff?"

"I have my methods." she said with a wink. "Oh and I set aside a few recon tapes in the AV room. Good luck."

"Thank you so much!"

Sora felt that the team had begun to rely on Satsuki. Even though she was officially a manager just for the guys, she had taken a personal interest on the girls' team. She would help them out whenever she could.

The incident just now could be taken as an example. Satsuki had somehow managed to find out by hook or crook the name of the team they would be playing in the quarters.

Even coach hadn't heard yet. Chihaya had warned them about nocturnal calls from the coach if she found out the name of the first opponent, but it looked like it would be unnecessary anymore.

Sora informed the others about it.

"Eh... That girl's a wizard." commented Chihaya. "Now I don't have to worry about interruptions to my beauty sleep."

Honami rolled her eyes. "The tapes are in the AV room eh? Let's go halfway through practice. And kouhai, thank her on my behalf."

************************

The basketball club was once more crammed in the AV room. Somehow it brought a sense of nostalgia to Sora. It reminded her about the day before her very first match. As usual the guys and girls took their respective corners.

"Here goes." said Honami inserting a tape of their most recent match.

"That girl's the center." concluded Akira pointing at number 9.

"Yeah." said Chihaya. "What a build! Looks like I'll have a few bruises at the end of this."

"Yeah. Look at her shoulder width! But then again I guess all centers are like that." said Eru.

Chihaya coughed loudly.

"Rule carries exceptions kouhai." said Honami with a laugh.

"Something's wrong." commented Sora. "Isn't she too far away from the hoop?"

"Now that you mention it...." said Honami.

The game began. Apparently, number 5 was the center. She was the one who went for the tip off. Haranishi took the ball. Number 5 quickly passed to number 9. She made the shot.

"What release speed...." said Honami.

"So this is the reason she's the shooting guard." said Sora.

"Were there others?" said Akira.

"Range and accuracy. But the ball slightly scratched and she didn't exactly make the shot from far. Eru senpai, doesn't this make her the same type as you?"

Everyone turned to look at Eru who gulped.

"Do I really have to mark this girl?"

Eru senpai had a slightly delicate build. Couple that with her usual tendency to dream even while playing, and you could say with some certainity that she would be steam-rolled.

Honami nodded. "I think so kouhai...."

"Don't worry Eru." said Chihaya spotting her expression. "We can switch marks if things go too badly."

"I doubt that can be done kouhai." said Honami. "We need you under the hoop. Number 5 isn't exactly bad. Eru...."

"Don't worry senpai." said Eru. "I'll see what I can do. I'll try to get out in one piece and hold her off."

"That's the spirit." said Honami though her tone was still uncertain.

"Senpai, why don't we study her play to find the gaps?" suggested Sora. "There's always something that can be used against your opponent...."

"Thanks kouhai."