Akira vs Akashi

Chapter 35:

Akira vs Akashi

"And now, for the most awaited match of the day!" said Aomine with an evil smile, flopping down on the bench.

Everyone turned and looked at Akira, who looked around.

"Umm... Me?"

"Let's go, Akira-san," said Akashi, gesturing to the court.

Akira sighed.

"Don't worry, Akira-san, I'll get revenge for you later," said Sora, hoping to give her comfort.

"Your confidence in me is overwhelming," said Akira dejectedly.

Sora realized what she had said, and hastened to explain. "Nah Akira-san! There's hope for you. You might win for all I know! I just... Well according to mathematical probability..."

"Stuff it. I'm gonna lose. I know it. It's no use. I probably won't even score," she said dragging her feet towards the court.

Sora looked at her thoughtfully, and then at Akashi.

"Akashi-san, can I count on you for a favour?"

"Go ahead."

"Akira-san looks like she's lacking motivation. She's a really good player. If you can get her to play. So can you extend the match? Till she scores four say."

He looked at her. "Fine. We'll keep going until she does that. Be it tomorrow or the day after that..."

"Please don't go easy on her."

"Done."

Akira looked at them in horror. Those midgets would keep her playing. Even if it took till the end of her middle school life! No! Akira couldn't let that happen. She would survive.

"Offense or defense?" asked Akashi.

"Offense. I feel like I'm gonna kill somebody," said Akira looking at Sora.

The match began.

Akira began to dribble. She went for a high dribble. Whenever Akashi came to take the ball, she just held it above his head or switched hands. She got in a close range shot.

1 - 0.

This is why migets shouldn't talk. Akira looked at the audience. Midorima was slowly wiping his glasses. Sora looked shocked. Murasakibara was wrestling with a biscuit packet, and Aomine looked at her contemplatively. She would ace this! If not, she could definitely score a four.

"Akira-san, you are 158 cm are you not?" said Akashi.

"Eh?! 161. Why?"

"Nothing. Just wondering out allowed. And oh, by the way, nothing good can come out of you favouring your right hand. Shall we go?"

Akira nodded confusedly. He didn't even seem the slightest bit fazed. Something was going on here...

Akashi went for offense. He went for a low dribble and drive easily passing Akira and scoring.

1 - 1.

Akira sighed. She had been foolish to expect it would be easy. Next time, she would be more cautious.

Akira started offense. She tried to use her height as an advantage again. This time Akashi blocked her path. He kept doing that. Akira was forced to switch to a dribble. But the minute she did that, he took the ball. He scored again.

1 - 2.

Akira gave a frustrated sound. This wouldn't happen again.

The next time, Akashi who was on offense, came in with a low dribble. She blocked him. He started a drive to the right. Akira moved too, but he turned out to be feinting, and got past her. And scored.

1 - 3.

Damn it.

Akira started with a high dribble. He blocked her. Akira attempted to feint and pass him with a drive. But he predicted her direction, and moved the same way. Akira was desperate. She took a step back and tried the formless shot she'd seen Aomine use in his match. Unfortunately the ball rolled on the rim and fell out. Akira heard a disappointed shriek from Sora. Aomine whistled.

Akashi took the ball and scored.

1 - 4.

"Aquarius is last today. That's going to bother you a bit, nanodayo," said Midorima.

"Like I haven't figured that out!" snapped Akira.

"Keep going Akira-san!" cheered Sora. "Make him run!"

Akira glared at Sora.

"Your elbows were not positioned properly," put in Akashi, "Otherwise you could have made it. Try a stiffer positioning next time."

Great. Now he was giving advice.

Akashi was on offense. He started slowly as if giving her time to plan. God, that was annoying. He started with a high dribble this time. As Akira went to take it, he threw it over her head. She wasn't exactly expecting this. He caught it on the other side and scored.

1 - 5.

Akira was resigning herself to playing for the rest of the year, when Akashi said "Well, that's over..."

Akira looked up quickly. She glanced at Sora, who nodded with a smile. "I just wanted you to put your heart in it Akira-san. Although that didn't work... You're still limiting yourself."

Akira shook her head and muttered something.

Sora came and put her hand around her. "Anyway, that's over."

To her surprise Akira began laughing.

"Oro? Did I miss something..."

"Shouldn't you be worried yourself, Sora-chan?"

"Eh? Why is that?"

"Now that I've lost... You get to play against him."

"Did you forget our challenge, Sora-san?" added Akashi.

"How could I?" replied Sora civilly. "Shall we?"

"With pleasure."