Start!

Chapter 15:

Start!

The most expected, dreaded day was finally here!

The beginning of the interschool tournament!

Sora couldn't get rid of a slight persistent feeling of nausea. This was going to be her first match and she had a really bad case of nerves. The teams were making their way towards the place where the matches were going to be held. Most of the people in the bus seemed to be in a really boisterous mood. Honami senpai had this 'just another day of work' look on.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The bus arrived at the stadium. Sora had now taken to fidgeting with her bag. Honami-senpai was busy talking to Shirogane. Sora had only heard about him vaguely. He was the main coach for most of the teams. The girls team coach, for some reason, had taken a long vacation. So, Honami had done most of the coaching this team, occasionally guided by Coach Shirogane.

Akira was in a really good mood. She was animatedly talking to Kuroko and Aomine about the upcoming matches. Sora decided that she would rather join them than stew in her own nervousness.

"--hope they put up a good fight! I'm fired up!" Aomine was saying when Sora came up to them.

"Aomine-san, can you lend me some of your confidence? I feel like throwing up..." said Sora.

"I'm a bit nervous too," admitted Kuroko.

Aomine laughed. "You guys are playing for the first time right? Don't worry! It'll be a piece of cake! Unless you fold in to pressure--"

Just then the call for both the teams came. Everyone wished one another good luck and left.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sora was in a state of ultimate euphoria.

20-70.

They had won!

Their first match turned out to be a really easy affair. The team was celebrating a good start and preparing to leave. Sora met Aomine and Kuroko near the bus and gave them a big thumbs up. They returned the gesture with the same enthusiasm. So they had done well too!

The return journey was as lively as the one in the morning. This time Sora was able to join the merry-making. It was evening by the time they returned. So Honami-senpai suggested that the entire team go out and eat somewhere. Apparently the boys' team was going out and Honami-senpai was in no mood to be outdone by them. So the entire basketball team ended up going to the same restaurant.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The people working at the restaurant, much to their alarm, found their place invaded suddenly by a huge swarm of hyper kids. Everyone then separated and sat according to their classes. So Akira, Sora, Sakura and Rika along with a few others were seated together. They were joined by a beaming Momoi and the g.o.m along with the other members from their year.

Soon an animated discussion about both the matches began for sometime. After every detail had been thoroughly discussed, everyone soon entered a restless mood. Someone started playing 'Truth or dare' in one corner of the table. So Sora, Akira, Momoi and the gom decided they might as well do the same. Luckily, Midorima's lucky item of the day turned out to be a fountain pen. So, they decided to use that as a pointer. The first one to get caught was Midorima.

"Isn't that your lucky pen?" laughed Sora "It seems to be highly ironic--"

"One small thing cannot change fate entirely. Today Cancer is in the last position, nanodayo."

"Truth or dare?" questioned Akashi.

"Dare, nanodayo."

"Fine go and sing some stupid song to the waitress," challenged Haizaki.

Midorima looked shocked out of his wits. But however the others forced him into agreeing. So, when the waitress bought up the desserts, Midorima started singing some traditional Japanese song in a really awkward tone, making everyone die out of laughter.

A few minutes later, Honami announced that everyone should leave and take rest before their next match. But the gom and the rest were too hooked onto the game. So they decided to go to a nearby park and continue.