Practice makes perfect

Chapter 32:

Practice makes perfect

The team had left about ten minutes ago. Sora and Akira were the only ones there. The court echoed with the creak of their shoes and the sound of the ball falling into the hoop.

"Wah! Nice one."

"It's a bit weird playing by ourselves isn't it," commented Akira.

"Yeah, everything just sort of echoes..." said Sora shuddering, "It's a bit weird. I miss the noise."

"You two got held too?" said a voice behind them.

Akira shrieked while Sora instinctively got into a fighting position.

"Sora-san it's just me," said Kuroko.

"My God! Sorry... This is probably the second time. But I was really freaked out... Anyway, what on earth are you doing here?"

"Oh, we got additional practice too because of the field trip. The others wanted to practice alone, so I'm looking for a court."

"You guys can come here," suggested Akira.

"Can we? That would be nice--"

"Umm... I'm not sure if it's allowed..." began Sora.

"Sora-chan, relax. We're the only ones who are going to be here! Besides having the whole court to ourselves is freaking me out."

"Maybe you are right."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

By the time the gom arrived, Akira and Sora were shooting hoops.

"Shouldn't you be doing stretches and laps before this?" reminded Akashi.

Akira lowered her ball whereas Sora said, "Nah, we did some before regular practice. That should be enough."

"For the rest it is. But you're going to be playing longer aren't you? And if you really want to improve your skill level, you should increase the amount of exercises you do before actual playing. Otherwise it's not much use..."

"We'll be fine oka-san. We're just going to shoot today."

"No. We'll give you company. So come let's do a few before you continue."

"I hate doing laps..." muttered Sora.

"All the more reason! Come."

"No."

"I am the one who's training you."

"You were. I dropped out remember?"

"And you didn't exactly inform your captain did you--"

"Yeah. Unofficial decision let's say."

"Which means I'm officially in charge--"

The rest of them were watching the argument with interest.

"Wow. Both of them are really going at it said Aomine.

"Yeah. Wonder who'll win," said Akira.

"Sagittarius is in the second place. Leo is in the sixth, nanodayo," said Midorima.

"Shouldn't we stop them?" asked Kuroko.

"Nah, this is too good right now. All that's missing is some popcorn," commented Akira.

"Talk about it," said Aomine.

"Aki-chin, Mine-chin, I have some in my locker fetch it if you want."

"No food on the court!" chroused Akashi and Sora momentarily forgetting their argument.

"I wasn't going to literally do it," said Aomine.

"Quit the yapping and let's get to it. Match?" said Haizaki.

Everyone nodded.

"Let's have a series of one on ones. Offense and defense type," suggested Aomine. There was unanimous approval.

"Oh, but what about Kuroko-kun. He can't go one on one, can he?" said Sora.

There was a pause. Haizaki then declared that he had work to do and that the number would be even without him and then escaped.

"Okay... that issue is solved. Kuroko-kun, you can be the referee. Let's write chits and pick. Let three of us write our names and then we'll see who plays against who."

Akashi, Aomine and Midorima wrote their names. Sora, Akira and Murasakibara came forward to pick.

"Here's to hoping I pick you," said Sora pointedly at Akashi.

He laughed. "Don't get beaten before we resolve our issues. Loser runs ten laps everyone."

"Fine by me."

Everyone opened their chits.

"Oro? Midorima-kun, you're up against me," said Sora.

"Mine-chin, I got you. Can I get an ice if I beat you?"

"Nae, Sora-chan, do you want to switch?" said Akira paling. "Picked wrong."

"Hmm... Akira-san... If you want..."

"Rules are rules," said Akashi.

"Can I forfeit?" asked Akira.

"Not a chance."

"Shall we say first to get five balls in wins?" said Aomine.

"Fine. Who's first?" said Akashi.

"We'll go," said Sora looking at Midorima who nodded.

"Sora-san, you have a slight chance you know. Remember, we have a bone to pick," reminded Akashi.

"Got it."