Semis: It's begun

Author's note:

The scores are of the form Kamiya - Teiko.

Chapter 70:

Semis: It's begun

Tipoff!

As expected, Ritsuko took the ball. She passed to Saki. Sora stepped in and did her bit. She took the ball and passed it to Eru. They made it.

0 - 3.

Next time, Chihaya was the one with the ball. But Ritsuko took it from her. She passed to the point guard who in turn passed to the shooting guard. Number 7(sg) made a shot from the inside.

2 - 3.

"Damn clutch shooters...." muttered Akira making both Sora and Saki laugh.

Next, the ball was taken by Honami who passed to Eru. But Eru was blocked. So she passed to Akira. Akira broke past the defense and scored.

2 - 5.

The ball went to number 6(pf). Akira blocked her, so she tried to make a pass to number 10(sf). But Sora intercepted it. She passed to Eru.

2 - 8.

"Get yourself together, girls." said Ritsuko brightly.

Kamiya got the ball. Number 10(sf) passed to Saki who passed to number 7(sg).

5 - 8.

Next time, Ritsuko passed the ball to Saki. She started playing her formless style. Sora was momentarily put off. Saki got through and passed to number 6(pf). Akira tried blocking her and so she passed to number 7(sg).

8 - 8.

"My, my. Now this is getting interesting...." said Akira.

Saki received the ball. When Sora went to block her, she started to play formless. Sora used the same technique she used the last time. She began to constrict her movements. There was a momentary grapple for the ball between the two point guards. Sora took the ball and passed it to Akira who scored.

8 - 10.

Chihaya got the ball. She tried to make a pass to Eru. But Ritsuko intervened. This time, Ritsuko went for the shot herself. She scored from the inside.

10 - 10.

The ball went to Honami. Ritsuko took it. Sora back tipped her and passed to Eru.

10 - 13.

Chihaya had the ball. She passed to Honami. Honami went one on one with the power forward. She came out victorious.

10 - 15.

Somewhere, the referee blew the whistle.

"The first quarter is over. We'll have a two minute break!"

***************

"What a close gap...." said Chihaya.

"We'll have to close it." said Honami in a determined tone.

"Can we play on full offense like before?" suggested Akira.

Sora shook her head. "Kamiya's defense is good. If we try that, there's a good chance that they'll tire us out and then strike."

"So what do we do?" questioned Akira.

"We'll have to come up with something...."