The team

Chapter 4:

The team

Over the course of the first few days, Sora found herself regularly visiting the basketball club. Within a matter of hours during her second visit, she found herself well acquainted with all the members. Akira had also managed to become a regular on the team so Sora's visits became more frequent.

The captain of the team, Ayase Honomi, was a third year. She was a very strict captain, but off court, she was fun to hang out with. Honomi took to Sora quickly and together the two lectured or encouraged the team as need demanded.

Ryusuke Sakura was the team's shooting guard. She was a quiet person generally, but when it came to playing in a match, her shots were really accurate and sometimes when they were in a tight spot, she would act as the backbone of the team.

Mizuki Kana, a bubbly girl who was in Sora's class was the small forward. Her enthusiasm was quite contagious and she welcomed Sora as an addition.

Honinozuka Rika was the shy point guard of the team. Akira was designated as the center. Sora had also become a bit acquainted with Mikiyasu and Satoshi who were on the bench.

Within the second week, Sora became the unofficial strategist of the team. Though when they divided into groups and had matches, she preferred to side with whichever side Akira was on.

After school practices became really fun for Akira and Sora. They would play to their heart's content ( or rather Akira played and Sora guided her) and then dissect the match on the way home. Sora had tried playing once or twice, but she soon gave up on it.

Once, both of them were walking out of the court after practice when they heard a loud 'Kyaa!' behind them. Sora jumped but Akira merely looked in the direction of the screams and shrugged.

"Akira-san! What on earth was that?"

"Oh, that... Haven't you heard, that model Kise Ryouta is joining the football team."

"Who?"

Akira looked at Sora. "Sora-chan! You have to keep yourself updated about what's happening around you, jeez..."

"I didn't think it was relevant..."

Akira rolled her eyes. "Apparently he joined many clubs, but sorta got bored. Now he's joining the boy's team."

"Now that you mention it... I heard something about the 'generation of miracles' from Honomi-senpai. Isn't that what they call the boy's team of the basketball club?"

"That's right. The first year team in the first string. I've heard they're ridiculous..."

"Eh... Is there any chance we can get to see them play?"

"Yeah, I guess..."

"Great! I'll call Honomi-senpai. We'll all go! Who knows...we might get ideas to improve our strategy."