Courage test

Chapter 46:

Courage test

Sora, Akira and Satsuki got a room to themselves. They began to unpack, happily chatting and making plans.

Sora who had finished, stood near the window and surveyed the scenery. They hotel seemed to have a huge garden. It was decorated in the traditional style and even had a small lotus pond at the end. Sora had to squint to make out what it was.

"Oro... It's getting dark," she observed.

"Nae, Sora-chan, Suki-chan..." began Akira.

"Hmm?"

"Can we have a courage test?"

"A what?" said Sora.

"Do you mean something like a dare?" said Satsuki.

"Yeah. But it has to be really scary."

Sora hesitated, unsure. But Satsuki agreed immediately.

"Come on, Sora-chan!" said Akira. "I won't make it too hard for you."

"Why don't I believe that?" said Sora, sarcastically.

"Oi, come on. It'll be really easy," said Akira coming to stand next to her at the windowsill. "For example... Go bring a flower from that lotus pond. It is a lotus pond, right? I can't see so well."

"Yes, it is. And Akira-san, don't you think it's a bit silly to be wandering in gardens like this at night? It's huge! And who knows what's in the grass--"

"Oh, Sora-chan is scared of little ghosts," said Akira.

"I'm not!" said Sora. "Fine, I'll do it! But if I do, it's game over and you have to think of something else."

"Fine." said Akira sighing.

Sora was frustrated. It was better if she went in instead of Akira and Satsuki. She knew where to draw the line. But at the same time... Thank goodness she hasn't forgotten to pack the bug cream.

-------------------------------------------------

Satsuki and Akira were waiting for her at the back entrance. At least, they said they would. Sora had no doubt whatsoever that they would follow her and try to scare her.

Sora had mentally memorized the garden's layout from her window. She switched on her flashlight and went into the garden. Up close, it looked almost like a thicket. There were so many trees and bushes, that she hardly had any place to walk.

Her hand brushed against something. Oh, it was the stone lantern. At least if someone had bothered to light it... Anyway, it meant she was going in the right direction. Not far now.

Sora could almost see the pond. It stood in a tiny clearing. Mission accomplished.

Sora was about to pluck a flower when she heard the voices.

At first she thought it was Akira and Satsuki. And then she realized they were male voices. There were so many ways in which this could not be good...

Sora's first instinct was to switch off her flashlight. It was better that she should stay hidden whoever they were. The voices dropped as soon as they came near the clearing. Now, Sora was really starting to panic internally.

She thought she could quietly slip away. She began to edge near the woods again. And then she bumped into someone. Sora backed away quickly.

And then someone caught her hand.

Sora lashed out by instinct. Her hand contacted something which flew away. So one of her attackers wore glasses. She had given him quite a good hit. The grip on her hand eased a bit and Sora wrenched it away. She hit one more guy too hard enough to wind him.