My mentor

Chapter 8:

My mentor

Akira was currently facing the consequences of bunking practice. The entire team had left and she had to clean up the court. Luckily or unluckily, she was being helped by Sora, who however had decided to lecture her for bunking practice. Akira tuned out Sora's chatter and concentrated on cleaning the court. Sora had picked up a ball. She ceased her lecture and sighed. "Must be nice to play basketball as a team. I wish I had your strength, Akira-san," she said.

Akira straightened immediately. "Shall we play? After we finish cleaning up."

"I would love to... But, I don't have the necessary hand-eye coordination. Besides you've seen me shoot-"

"No problem! I'll teach you."

So after the entire court was cleaned, Akira began to teach Sora the basics of dribbling and shooting. Sora listened to every word Akira said and tried her best to keep up. When they were doing this, Aomine entered the court.

"Yo. Akira, the homeroom teacher wants to see you. You left your book in the class. What are you guys doing?"

"I'm teaching Sora to shoot."

"Eh... It's impossible for someone to learn to shoot in one day."

"I have faith in Sora-chan! She learns quickly. She will definitely do it."

Sora looked at Akira. "Akira-san, you know he's right. I have been trying for so long. It's impossible!"

"No!" Akira said stubbornly. Then she turned to Aomine "Mine-kun, if Sora doesn't manage to shoot a hoop by the time we get back, I'll do your homework for the entire week."

Sora looked at Akira in horror while Aomine said, "You're on!"

---------------------------------------------------------

Akira and Aomine had been held up by some small things and they now headed towards the court. When they entered, they found Sora shooting hoops as if her life depended on it. Aomine nodded. "There's some slight improvement. As I said, it's simply impossible. I'll let you two of the hook this time."

Sora looked extremely relieved, but Akira said, " No! We are going through with this!"

Aomine shrugged. "Fine by me. If you want to do my homework for the entire week, why should I stop you?"

Sora turned white. Then she took a deep breath and threw the ball. Luckily it went in. Akira whooped and Aomine smiled and shrugged.

--------------------------------------------------------

"You did it, Sora-chan!" exclaimed Akira on the way home.

Sora shook her head. "My accuracy has just improved a really little. I was able to make the shot because I had been shooting in the same position for half an hour. I could tell from Aomine's face that he could see that."

"That doesn't matter! By next week you'll be shooting like a natural."

"Next week?" began Sora and then shook her head and smiled, "Akira-san, looks like you made a basketball addict!"

"Yes!"

" -looks like even though you are normally a goofball, you're an excellent teacher and a really supportive person-"

"What did you say Sora-chan? I didn't her you over my shouts-"

" -nothing."