Valentine's day

Chapter 60:

Valentine's day

Sora made a mental note to work on her timing. She had yet again reached school early. By now, it was becoming a sort of disease.... She was contemplating on how to kill time when she ran into Midorima and Akashi near the lockers.

They were talking in whispers and jumped when they noticed Sora. Sora noticed that there was a huge sheaf of papers in both their hands.

"Did someone announce bonfire night without my knowledge, because if so, you guys have missed my contribution of papers. Stew in regret.... So, anything up?" said Sora.

Akashi and Midorima merely exchanged glances.

"You know, you guys are creeping me out. So if you have anything to say....."

And then Sora noticed that the papers were predominantly pink.

"Oh. I thought pink was Satsuki's department. But not that I have any problems..." she said picking up a random paper from the top of Akashi's pile. He made a sound of protest, but Sora ignored it and read out the writing.

*......My dear prince of love, my heart belongs to you. If you should one day notice me, I look forward to your acceptance and it would mean the world to me....*

Akashi snatched the paper and tore it up before she could read anymore, cursing under his breath. Sora burst out laughing.

"Prince of love?! Tell me, is the entire school drugged because then I'd better go home."

"February 14. It's Valentine's day." he replied stiffly. "And yes, I was thinking the same."

"Maybe she misspelled uncle as prince." suggested Sora.

(Note: Oji- uncle, Ouji- prince. I'm not sure about the exact kanji, but the sounds were close enough so I used it.)

"Believe me." said Akashi grimly. "I did consider that possibility when you read it out. But 'My dear uncle of love, my heart is yours' didn't make sense. So I'm assuming it's the latter."

"Gimme one more." said Sora reaching for the pile. But Akashi held it away from her.

"Fine. Midorima-san, let's have a look at yours." said Sora, this time ignoring Midorima.

*...... it may be fate that we hath met. If stars are merciful.... *

"Midorima-san." said Sora in a serious tone. "Find this girl. Marry her."

"Her choice of words is gaudy, nanodayo." said Midorima with a slight sniff.

"Eh.... But judging by the pile, I guess you can afford to be picky."

"Cut it out Himeji." said Akashi. Stuffing his pile in a nook somewhere near a random locker. "This never happened."

"If my prince says so." said Sora choking with laughter.

"Quit quoting...."

"My, my you guys are popular." said Sora opening her own locker. To her utter chagrin a few notes fell out from it.

Akashi grinned. "Eh.... Looks like there's two sides in this story. Hand them over. Now. I'll just take a quick look."

Sora took one look at his face and rushed towards the paper pile. Akashi pursued her. Sora managed to push her papers into the pile.

"There. Now you can't get them. You're right. This incident never happened afterall."

"Step aside, Himeji. Those are bound to be in the top few layers. Besides, it's only fair after you saw Midorima's and mine."

"No."

"Step aside. Now."

Sora was calculating her chances of holding him off indefinitely when Akira arrived. She had a huge pile in her hands too. When she saw that there was already a pile she added hers to it.

"Yo. Sup?" she said. And then she dragged Sora aside. "Why is Akashi glaring at me?"

"You just destroyed vital evidence." said Akashi coldly.

"Don't listen to him Akira. You're an angel. I'll take care of you." said Sora happily.

"Okay. Now I'm even more freaked out by your generosity. Did I miss something?"

"Never come at the climax and ask what the movie is about, nanodayo." suppplied Midorima.

"Eh! Shin-chan's using metaphors? God, this must be serious."

"Never mind that." said Sora examining the pile. "Whose are these?"

"Oh. Mine, Mine-kun's and Mura-kun's." responded Akira.

"Aomine? As in Aomine Daiki?" said Sora.

"I know right! But aho's got quite the fan club. I don't know how I survived the avalanche that came out of his locker."

"How many did you get?" inquired Sora.

".....about one-third."

"Akira-san! That should be somewhere around thirty five! Stealing hearts are we?"

"Shut up! What about you though?"

"Nothing much."

"The evidence was in the pile and you added all those letters to it." said Akashi.

"Damn it!" said Akira.

"This just lengthens my task. Doesn't mean it's impossible." said Akashi with a determined expression.

"Akashi-san, if you think you have a vague chance to embarrass me, think again. For every one of my letters there's atleast twenty of yours in there. So I can probably quadruple whatever you've got on me easily." said Sora softly.

"Is that a challenge?"

"Done."

They were interrupted by Aomine who came running in helter-skelter.

"I....need hiding place. Asap!"

Akashi pointed to the pile of letters. Aomine understood and simply dove in. A few seconds later, a couple of girls from their class came up.

"Have any of you seen Dai-kun?"

Everyone said they hadn't and they went away.

"Thanks a bunch." said Aomine poking his head out. "I owe you. Again."

"Fine. Step aside, Aomine. Something I need is in that pile." said Akashi.

Just then the bell rang and everyone was forced to drop whatever they were doing and go inside. Much to Sora's relief, by the time break was announced, all the papers were cleared away.

"Looks like the prince has been foiled yet again."

"Shut up Himeji. There's always the trash cans if I feel desperate enough."

"Incinerator day!"

"....that leaves me with no choices then."

"Yes!"

"Did you see the names on those by chance?"

"Nah. Why?"

"Curiosity."