Respite

Chapter 13:

Respite

Honami looked up at her team. They were all training really hard and coming up to shape. She smiled. At this rate, they could hope for good results in the tournament. Perhaps it was time for a little break.Honami called for the team to gather around her. "Good work, guys. Although I'm reluctant to admit this, you all probably need a break. Tomorrow is Saturday, right? So, what say we all go to the mall together?"

Her statement was met with unanimous approval from the entire team. Then Akira raised her hand. "Nae, captain, can I rescue Sora and tell her the good news?"

----------------------------------------------------

Sora collapsed at one side of the court. She had really come to hate fridays.

"Fine. You can have a two minute break."

She was somehow talked into taking additional practice every Friday with Akashi by Honami. Sora never knew how she survived every Friday. The schedules he followed were really hectic. On the bright side, her stamina had improved considerably, but on the downside...

Sora found herself falling asleep in a sitting position, but she was woken by a sharp reprimand.

"Tired already? Don't even think of falling asleep!"

Sora groaned. "Quiet... I still have hundred seconds left."

"But falling asleep on the court!"

"Last week I fell asleep on the bus and got up two stops later than my intended destination..."

"You what? Anyway, wake up..."

" Ninety, Eighty nine, Eighty eight..."

Luckily she was saved by Akira's entry. "Sora-chan! We're going out tomorrow! The entire team! The mall!" screamed Akira, who was nearly incoherent in her excitement.

Sora perked up. "Great!"

Much to Sora's disappointment, that did not save her from additional practice.

------------------------------------------------------------

A bright sunny day welcomed Akira as she hurried towards her friends. After long last, here was a day completely devoted to relaxation. The entire team was there except Sora who arrived a few minutes late. Then they set off to the mall!

When the girls finally arrived, a big debate ensued about which shop to visit first. Majority of the team wanted to visit one of the clothing stores. Akira wanted to buy a video game, Sora wanted to visit the bookstore and a few wanted to check out sports equipment. So, in the end, they decided to split up and meet up later to eat and go for a movie later.

Akira was walking to the toy shop when she saw a familiar green-head at the Feng Shu store. It was Midorima. Intrigued, Akira went in. He was looking at the lucky items. Figured.

"Yo, Shin-chan!" said Akira, in an effort to start a conversation.

"Shin-chan?" he repeated disgruntled, "What are you doing here by the way, nanodayo."

"Ah, I was going to the toy store and I saw you here. Watcha' looking for?"

"My lucky item. And you got side tracked, is it? It's that sort of day for Aquarius."

"I see"

"And isn't your friend a Leo?"

"Yeah, she is. What about that?"

"This is going to be a really bad day for her. Make sure you warn her. In fact, it is better if she stays indoors, nanodayo."

Akira stared at him. Just then she got a call from Sora.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sora had just realized what a huge mistake she had made. She had wandered off on her own in a mall she had come to for the first time relying on the blueprint provided on every floor. Now she realized that she was completely and hopelessly lost. She called up Akira. Luckily Akira picked up the phone quickly.

"Nae, Akira-san.....where are you?"

"I'm on the first floor. Why?" came the suspicious reply.

"I'm lost."

"What?"

"I'm lost........"

"What the hell! Are you a damn kindergartener? Wait... Which floor are you on now?"

"The third... I think."

Akira rubbed her temple. "Looks like your predictions are damn correct, Shin-chan. See ya," and to Sora she said, " I'll come to wherever you are. What shops can you see?"

"I'm stuck in a place with a fire-exit and nothing else. Wait I'll walk a bit further... Ah, I can see a coffee shop... Holy sh*t!"

"Sora! Are you alright?" said Akira, panicking.

"It's Hizaki! And some girl is with him... Who in their right mind--"

"That isn't really important now! Wait, ask him to guide you--"

"I'd rather stay lost. And besides I've walked quite some distance from there... And... Damn! Another dead end. I'll walk the other direction now!"

Akira moaned in frustration. Damn Sora and her stubbornness.

"Oh, Akira-san! I just saw Aomine-kun! I'll ask him for directions... Wait he just went into the magazine store. I'll go in too."

"On second thought, Sora-chan. I'll come and get you. Don't ask anyone. I know the place..."

" Hmm... 'Kay."

--------------------------------------------------

Finally Akira found Sora, sitting on a bench near the store and lectured her for half an hour. Sora seemed too relieved to mind. They met up with the rest of the team who were worried sick. Unfortunately, Sora was too tired to enjoy the rest of the day. She even fell asleep halfway through the movie. In the end, when they headed home, Sora told Akira, "Akira-san, perhaps I should have stayed home today..."

Akira looked at Sora. "Absolutely."