Quarters: Step it up

Author's note:

The scores are of the form Teiko - Haranishi.

Chapter 66:

Quarters: Step it up.

Ordinary people had a habit of thinking and brooding over things before acting. But apparantly not Honami senpai. Sora was amazed with her readiness to try out the plan, unorthodox as it was. Haranishi was getting into line-up. They were in for a slight surprise at the least.

Tip-off!

Chihaya took the ball and passed it to Akira. Akira surged forward. She side-stepped number 8(sf) and passed to Sora. Sora passed it to Eru and Eru made the shot.

43 - 32.

The next time the ball was in play, Haranishi were the ones to take it. Number 4(pf) passed Akira and tried to pass to number 9(sg). They would have pulled it off, but to their surprise, the ball was knocked from number 9's(sg) hands. It was Chihaya. Chihaya and Eru had switched marks. Eru was guarding the inside while Chihaya marked number 9(sg).

So far, it looked like Sora's plan was working. Eru was only slightly shorter than the center. So, they probably needn't worry too much. Besides, they had no intention of letting the ball inside their defense zone. Chihaya and number 9(sg) were of nearly equal build. So, Chihaya was more than a match for her.

Chihaya directed the ball to Sora, who passed to Honami. Honami scored.

45 - 32.

Teiko had primarily been an offense team that year before Chihaya had joined. So they had no trouble going back to their earlier tactics. They did well and within the next few minutes, managed to score five points.

50 - 36.

Haranishi's coach called a time out even though there was only a minute left in the third quarter. Sora watched them as they seriously discussed something. The break came to an end and the game resumed. This time, Haranishi had adopted Teiko's tactics. The had switched their shooting guard and center as well. Number 9(sg - c) was under the hoop, while number 10(c - sg) was marking Eru.

"This is getting ridiculous." muttered Akira.

The game commenced. Number 4(pf) was the one with the ball. She passed to number 10 (c - sg) who shot.

Rebound!

Chihaya took the ball. But number 9(sg-c) took it from her. She shot quickly and sent the ball in.

50 - 38.

Her release speed had turned into a deadly advantage under the hoop. The distance from the hoop had reduced, improving her somewhat low accuracy.

"You're not the only ones who can change game plans ya'know" said number 7(pg).

With that, the third quarter of the quarter finals came to an end.