Generation of miracles

Chapter 5:

Generation of miracles

"Thank you so much, senpai!" Sora was practically beaming at Honomi.

"Ah, it's no biggie." Honomi senpai had managed to get permission for the entire team to go watch the first string's match during practice hours. "Besides as you said, this will be a good exposure for the entire team. We need to renew our strategies a bit to suit the new team..."

"Yes!"

The team proceeded to the first string court. Since there were quite a lot of members, it was a large spacious court. And unlike the girl's court...Oh, the crowd! There were several people present to watch the generation of miracles play. The crowd even included some of the teachers! It had been only a little over a week since school had started, but the extraordinary prowess of the first string had reached everyone's ears.

"Listen up everyone!" said Honomi, "Watch the match carefully. We have to live up to everyone's expectations of being part of Teiko's basketball team!"

Just then a tall guy with a tan came up to Akira. "Yo, everyone has come to see the match i see..." and then in a lower tone to Akira he said "Remember, you told me that you would introduce me to your captain." And then he left. Sora whistled softly.

"Who on earth was that Akira? And I assure you captain won't be pleased," she said with a chuckle.
"That's Aomine Daiki. He's in our year, though I doubt you will know that aho... I'll tell you the rest later."

"No probs. For now I'll be content with imagining captain's 'I'll kill you for this expression'."

"Sora! You wouldn't rat out your best friend won't you?"

"I'll think about it."

The match began with Akashi, Midorima and a purple-head on one side and the captain of the boy's team, Nijimura, Aomine and a grey-head on the other. It was a three-on-three on the full court. Akira began to explain each player's position and strenghts.

Nijimura apparantly had been the strongest power forward before the arrival of the g.o.m. He was an excellent all-rounder. Aomine Daiki was a extremely good power forward and specialized in making formless shots. His style of playing was quick and intuitive. The grey haired guy was called Hazaki Shogo. Akira mentioned that his ability was 'stealing skills' though Sora didn't really get it. As for Akashi, his special ability was his ability to predict and change the flow of the game. Sora had already heard a lot about Midorima's shooting skills. The purple-head was Murasakibara Atsushi. His ability was not really difficult to gauge. With a build of that kind, he was easily the best center that could be found.

Then the match began. It was a really intense contest, though Akira had told her that they never used their full power in practice matches.

The ball was first taken by Murasakibara during the tip-off. He then quickly tried to pass it to Midorima. But, the pass was intercepted by Aomine who ran towards his hoop at full speed, only to have his dunk stopped again by Murasakibara. The ball next went to Akashi. Haizaki charged towards Akashi followed by Aomine. Nijimura took his position between Akashi and Midorima. Even though Murasakibara was coming to his aid, Akashi was being double-teamed. So, in a split-second he threw the ball towards Nijimura.

"What on earth!" screamed Akira.

Nijimura caught the ball in utter disbelief, totally forgetting that Midorima was behind him. Midorima used his confusion to steal from him and went for a three-pointer. It went it.

"Did he just shoot from behind the half-court line?" exclaimed Sora in disbelief as the crowd erupted into both cheers and shouts behind them.

Like this the g.o.m continued to play for the entire forty minutes. And so, after a really spectacular match, the team returned with plently of data and ideas.

"Ah, after such hard work, one really requires refreshment!" said Akira, taking out a bottle of juice.

"Akira-san! You were just a spectator," said Sora. 

"Yeah, but watching people play like that really gives you an appetite."

"Fine. But give me some!"

"No way in hell!"

Akira in her efforts to 'protect' her bottle of juice accidentally bumped into Haizaki, of all people.

"Can't you watch where you are going, woman?" he growled in a menacing tone. Akira went stiff from fright. "I didn't see you standing there..." she stammered.

"Say what? You blind, bat? Couldn't you see me coming?"

"Yeah," said Akira who was rapidly gaining confidence, "So, go damn yourself"

"What did you say?"

"You heard me!"

Sora could see that the situation was getting quite out of hand. Both of them were rapidly escalating to their swearing heights. And besides...  Haizaki looked like he would strike Akira any at moment. But Akira, who was oblivious to all that kept arguing with him. So Sora decided to step in. "Enough, both of you. Akira just apologize. You need to watch where you are going. And also Haizaki-san, please don't swear in public like this."

Haizaki immediately turned on Sora. "This ain't none of your business. Shut your damn mouth."

"My, my here I was trying to get Akira to apologize to you. Nevermind then. Let's go Akira."

At that moment, Haizaki decided that he would rather hit Sora, who was standing like a stone statue. But he was interrupted by the arrival of the rest of the team. So, he threw one last curse at Akira and stalked away. The crowd who had gathered around them began to disperse too.

Aomine rushed up to them and said, "You guys ok? That guy can be a nasty piece of work sometimes."

"We're fine," said Akira, "At least for now..."

"Good that. We'll get going. And don't pick up fights with everyone on the street Akira."

"I'll try."

As the team left, Sora said "That Hizaki guy... Is he always like this?"

"If what people say is true, yeah."

"Be careful Akira... You pick up too many fights."

"Like I said... I'll try."