Final Q: It's over

Note:

The scores are of the form Komagi - Teiko.

Chapter 79:

Final Q: It's over

The game resume from 47 - 49. Teiko had the lead this time.

Honami got the ball. She passed to Sora. Sora passed to Akira. Number 5(sf) and number 6(pf) double teamed her. Akira wasn't able to pass. So she tried a drive. Number 5(sf) anticipated that.

"White. Number 9! Charging!"

Sora bit her lip. Akira had got her third foul. This was bad.... If they resorted to double teaming,  passing would be made a bit more difficult. So it probably would force them to play at close range again. This could be bad....

49 - 49.

They were even again. This was going to be annoying to the end afterall....

Number 5(sf) got the ball. Honami blocked her. Number 5(sf) tried to pass to number 6(pf). Sora intercepted the pass. She was blocked by number 4(pg). Sora could feel number 5(sf) coming up behind her. She smiled.

She tried a drive. Number 4(pg) got into position. Sora promptly switched the ball to the other hand and went through in the opposite direction. Number 5(sf) was ready to backtip her, but Sora passed to Honami who was free because number 5(sf) had decided to double team her with number 4(pg). Honami got the ball in.

49 - 51.

"Nae...." said Sora to number 4(pg). "Never think you can close every single gap in your play. There's always something."

Number 4(pg) just snarled in reply.

Number 6(pf) got the ball. She was blocked by Akira. Number 5(sf) took her position behind Akira. Honami was on alert. Akira let number 6(pf) pass her and then backtipped. Number 5(sf) couldn't react because number 6(pf) was in between her and Akira. She passed to Honami again. Honami passed to Sora. Sora quickly passed it to Akira. Akira passed it to Eru.

49 - 54.

Like this, Teiko kept switching their plays between passive methods and quick passing. They managed to widen the gap. Finally, the referee blew his whistle.

"Fourth quarter comes to an end. 56 - 70. Teiko wins!"

Sora felt tears blurring her eyes. Vaguely she felt Akira cannon-balling into her. She could make out Chihaya screaming and lifting up Eru. And then both of them rushed towards them. Honami was trying to circle them all with her hands.

**********

Sora didn't know how they got into the lineup. She couldn't see properly yet.

She stood facing number 4. Number 4(pg) managed a weak smile. "You people were great."

Akira's jaw dropped. "Wait a moment....."

Number 4 shrugged. "Like I said, it was nothing personal." And then she grinned. "Watch out next year sweetheart. We won't let you loose after this."

Sora laughed. "That sounds more like you!"

But only one truth slowly sank into every girl there.

They had won.

The Teiko girls' team was the best in Japan.