Steady

Chapter 59:

Steady

"Run faster"

It was practice time. The team was trying it's best to keep up with the pace their coach wanted them to take.

"Chihaya, cover your left too. Honami, be more alert. Eru if you want to dream, get off the court and go to bed."

The semi was just around the corner. The team was honing it's more finer techniques prodded along by the coach.

"Sora, can't you see the others on the court? Next time try passing to someone other than Akira. Do something about your partial blindness. Akira, move it girl! There's a probably reason a 'power' forward is called that way!"

The team was moving like heavily sipped horses.

"Have a damn vision about what you are trying to do. Think it through."

"Oh yeah, I have one." muttered Chihaya. "It's about me. With a shovel. Standing over your grave. Don't worry I'll think it through thoroughly."

Finally, practice ended. The coach called for a line up.

"Right team. As you know, two weeks from now we'll be playing the big game." and then she paused. "I think we're up to it."

The entire team jerked slightly.

"From what I've seen, there's a good chance for us to win. Remember, your victory is everything. Try to make a decent win. From today, till the day of the tournament, your exercises will be slightly reduced. Chihaya, I said slightly. Not completely.... No need to look like a rat freed from a trap. Take it seriously. You can go. Today's training is over."

Everyone managed to maintain decorum until they got to the changing room.

"Did she just say she's reducing our training?" said Akira in amazement.

"Well we all can't have the same hallucination kouhai. And a word to the wise, don't try to understand demons. They have a thousand ways to lure you in."

"This is not something meant for you to slack off. This is just in preparation for what's to come." reminded Honami grimly.

"You I think the she-devil's catching." said Chihaya with a grin. "Don't let her get on your nerves. We'll be just fine."

"I think senpai is right. No matter what she said, the real pressure starts here. We've got no other choice. We have to win." said Sora quietly.

"You too Brutus?" said Chihaya dramatically.

Sora merely grinned in reply.

********************

"What was it with you in the locker room?" inquired Akira.

"What do you mean...."

"About the winning stuff. Tell me, is Akashi-san influencing you? Because I don't exactly have any problems with his doctrines, but if he's canvassing you too...."

"No it's not that."

And then, Sora became serious.

"Akira-san, remember all those times we joked about being number one in Japan? Well, the time has come to see whether we were just joking afterall or whether there was even an ounce of honest feeling in all those words. Winning is not just about honour. I just don't want to live with defeat. Do you think you could ever look Honami senpai to her face if we let her down? After she trusted us so much. She'll have to take the blame. And Eru senpai and Chihaya senpai....."

Akira her hit on the head slightly.

"Idiot. You think too much. Besides, why worry when even the she devil thinks well win. We'll be fine. Trust me."

"Akira....."