Rise and shine

Chapter 47:

Rise and shine

Sora woke up early that morning. The credit for that probably went to Akira and Satsuki. Both of them had been too excited to sleep and had been chatting half the night. So Sora hadn't been able to fall asleep either.

Sora rubbed her eyes. This was the second night in a row that she hadn't been able to sleep properly. Oh, good the guys were awake. And there was breakfast.

They weren't eating though. Everyone was huddled around what seemed to be a bundle of cloth. Sora went over.

"Hey. Morning'. What's going on?"

The bundle shivered violently.

"Who is that? Please leave me alone, nanodayo!"

Sora was surprised. Was that Midorima?

"It's alright, Midorima. It's just Himeji," Akashi said soothingly.

"Did I do something..." she wondered aloud.

"It's not your fault," explained Kuroko, "Midorima-kun has been acting like that since morning."

"What's wrong?"

"There is absolutely no reception at this hotel. At least, as far we know."

"So?"

"Midorima-kun is not able to check his horoscope. "

Sora bit her lip. This could be a real problem. In fact, she was surprised that Midorima had survived so far. Sora had never seen him be more than ten yards away from his lucky item. He even went so far as to take it to practice. This was going to be traumatic for him.

She watched as Akashi, Aomine and Murasakibara took turns to console him and convince him to at least to take off the blanket.

"You never know what fate can throw at you! Cancer could be last today! And without my lucky item... I don't want to think about it, nanodayo."

This was his only reply.

"Can't anything be done?" questioned Sora.

"We're working on that," said Kuroko.

Just then, Akira and Satsuki entered.

"Morning!"

Midorima shuddered violently again.

Akira and Satsuki were also briefed about the situation at hand.

"Poor Midorin," said Satsuki.

"Did you check every corner of the hotel?" demanded Akira, "There must be a signal somewhere!"

"I'm not sure," said Kuroko, "We were too preoccupied with Midorima-kun to check properly."

"There you go!" said Akira triumphantly. "Besides, I just made a call yesterday. I got pretty good reception."

"Hmm... Kuroko-kun, I was thinking of visiting the store nearby. I was going to ask sensei for permission. If they have a phone or the net, I'll make sure I note down the horoscope," said Sora.

"Midorima-kun will be pleased. Isn't that right?" said Kuroko addressing the bundle. It shook a bit.

"Then it's settled!" said Sora, "I'll be back as soon as I can."

"Who's going with you?" inquired Akashi.

"As of now? Nobody, I guess."

"You realize, you don't know this place too well?"

"I'll be fine, oka," said Sora, rolling her eyes, "It's about a fifteen minute walk from here. I think I know the way pretty well."

"Is it? In that case, I'm coming with you."

"Go on your own!" said Sora exasperated.

"I don't know the way," he said innocently.

Sora couldn't think of anything to say to that. So she lapsed into temporary silence.

"Right then!" said Akira, "I'll organize a search party."

"For what?"

"There must be a phone signal somewhere in this place!"

"Oh..."

"Mine-kun, Tetsu-kun, Suki-chan, Mura-kun; you're with me."

"I'm not sure Aki-chin. I think I'll stay here," said Murasakibara, "Besides, we can't leave Mido-chin alone."

The blanket nodded violently.

"Fine," said Akira, "Let's go!" she said to the rest.

"Does anyone have a phone? Mine's charging..."

"Ours is in our room," said Kuroko. Satsuki said the same.

Midorima slowly pushed his phone out from under the blanket and then quickly withdrew.

"Himeji, I think we should get going too," said Akashi.

Sora nodded.

"Do you want any breakfast?"

In answer to that, Sora picked two slices of toast from the table. "Here," she said, offering him one.

"Thank you," said Akashi, taking his share.

"I wish you all luck in the pursuit of fate," said Midorima weakly from under his blanket.

"Thank you!" they all chorused.