Quarters: Second Q

Author's note:

The scores are of the form Teiko - Haranishi.

Chapter 65:

Quarters: Second Q

Teiko was the first to get the ball. It was passed around and they scored.

21 - 11.

Haranishi had subbed out the center. Now someone else was playing. Sora couldn't exactly gauge number 10's strength. Well, it would probably become apparant.

The next time, when Honami went near the hoop, she was blocked by number 10. Nevertheless, she shot. But number 10 had blocked her sufficiently to make her do a rebound. Number 10 jumped quickly and took the ball. She was surprising good at taking the rebound. She passed to number 8(sf) who passed to number 4(pf). But Sora took the ball again and passed to Akira. Akira made the shot.

23 - 11.

Something about the situation bothered Sora. Number 10 had produced a slight change. Till now, they had been depending on the inside too much. Even slight variations in this could provide a lot of error. This coupled with Eru-senpai's out-of-commission condition, could be bad. Not that it would be too disasterous but it could be bad all-round. And even if they could definitely win, they could get ground by coach.

Next time, Haranishi took the ball. Number 4 got the ball and passed to number 9(sg). Number nine made the shot. Later, they also managed to make a few points because they were able to get the rebounds.

Halfway through the second quarter, the score was 30 - 22.

"Sora, this isn't exactly going as planned." said Akira.

Sora made a shushing gesture and discreetly pointed to number 7(sg) , who was intently listening.

"Plan 5A?" suggested Sora.

"If you say so."

When Teiko got the ball, Honami passed to Akira who in turn passed to Sora. Number 7(pg) and Sora went one on one. Sora managed to retain the ball and passed it to Eru. Eru tried the shot. It rolled on the hoop, but Chihaya managed to push it in.

32 - 22.

"Something's to be said for team-work on your side." said number 7(pg).

The two teams continued to go head on. At the end of the first half of the match, the score stood thus.

40 - 32.

************************

Sora was feeling really uneasy. Their coach simply didn't say anything. She would probably have even welcomed it if she had gone all-out ballistic. But right now she was acting out the silent killer part.

Eru was moodily rubbing her fingers over a bottle of juice. Honami was rubbing her face with a towel repeated even though she had probably cleaned it throughly long ago. Chihaya was hitting the side of the bench with her foot.

Thwack. Thwack. Thwack.

That monotonous hitting was almost becoming irritating to the point that it would be unbearable.

"Cut it out, senpai." snapped Akira.

Chihaya merely growled and continued to do it.

"So you people are going to moon around just because of an eight point gap?" demanded Akira.

"It's eight points, kouhai. Not exactly decent." said Honami.

"Then let's just get out there and thank them for it by a good payback." said Akira.

"And how exactly do we do it?"

"Senpai..." said Sora rising up slowly. "I don't know if this will work but I think it may be worth a shot."

"Go ahead kouhai."

"We were doing fine with the inside right? On full offense mode. So why don't we follow the same? Oh and there's one other small thing...."

"Do you want to ditch defense, kouhai? Go all out?"

"Not exactly, but that about sums it up."

Honami grinned slowly. "Let's step up the pace, Teiko!"

"Right."

And as they left, Sora held Honami back. "Oh and senpai, about that other thing... it's risky, but...."