Handicaps

Chapter 58:

Handicaps

*Last period :P *

Sora had just received that note from Akira. She turned back, checking the vicinity. Akashi seemed to be studiously writing something. That was good. She quickly scribbled a reply.

*What's the matter?*

*I don't wanna go to practice.*

Sora sighed. That had been the first years' general reaction after the first week. Two had dropped out again as their training further intensified. The second and third years had already been used to this. So they somehow managed. Sora knew that Akira's love for basketball was the only thing that still took her to the court after school.

*It'll be fine. There's no way it can get worse, so it has to get better. *

*Don't wanna!*

Sora knew that Akira would turn up anyway, so there was no real point in writing a reply. Just then she got another note.

*Himeji.*

She turned and looked back to find Akashi looking at her. Sora made an irritated sound. This was getting really irritating. People did have the right to pass notes in a free world. To have that taken away proved extremely irksome.

*************************

"Rika-san, are you really quitting?" asked Akira amazed.

Rika nodded. "The training was stressful before itself, Akira-san. Now, I just can't keep up. It's better this way."

Akira was gloomy. And she wasn't alone in that.

"I see."

"It's such a shame." she commented as Rika left.

Sora nodded.

"She loved basketball didn't she....."

"Yeah. Sora, we're having a match. Coming?"

"Sorry. Friday. Who versus who?"

"Aomine goaded Murasakibara and Midorima into playing. He even kidnapped Murasakibara's biscuits.... God, I will never forget that."

"Hmm. Looks like we're going the same way. Might as well go together."

******************************

Sora and Akira found that the first string was playing their customary match against the second string. The last quarter was going on. As expected the gom had the flow completely in their hands.

But something was wrong with the score.

"Akira-san, this is the fourth quarter right?"

"Yeah....."

0 - 10.

When the match was finally over, the score still remained 0 - 10.

"I think something's up....." said Sora.

**************************

"Mine-kun, who's playing who?" said Akira as soon as the gom came out.

"Heads or tails." said Aomine. "Heads and you're with me, Tails and you're with Atsushi."

"Mine-chin, you are giving back my food if I win." said Murasakibara.

Sora could almost see the murderous aura around Murasakibara and prayed for Aomine's sake that he didn't push it too far.

"Give me a good run ol' boy." said Aomine.

"Toss it." said Aomine fishing a coin out of his pocket.