Sora vs. Midorima

Chapter 33:

Sora vs. Midorima

Sora knew that it was going to be near impossible. Midorima was one of the gom for God's sake. But still his play was slightly different from the others. In other words there was a slight window for error.

There were two things Sora could say for certain. One was, Midorima's specialization in shooting had given him a few handicaps. Two, there was a certain difference in their heights. If she could successfully exploit both... Yes, there was a reasonable chance.

"Offense or defense first Midorima-san?"

"Offense, nanodayo. Even though Cancer is in the ninth position, please prepare yourself, nanodayo."

They were playing half court. Offense had to start from behind the half court line. Midorima dribbled once or twice. Sora knew what she had to do. As soon as he entered the half court, she took the ball in mid-dribble. Midorima came after her. She switched to a low dribble. Midorima was momentarily in a fix. Sora was shorter and he couldn't bend quick enough to the same extent as her. Sora used this to her advantage and brought the ball near the hoop and scored.

Next, Sora was the one playing offense. She began her play quickly with a drive and this helped her score again.

The rest of them were watching with confusion. What was up with Midorima? Then again, Cancer was in the ninth position. That could have freaked him out...

"You okay, Midorima-san?" inquired Sora.

"There's nothing wrong. Though it is unadvisable to use the same strategy twice, nanodayo."

Sora knew he was right. But then again, she had no other option.

Midorima began offense. This time he got into low dribble at the start. This would be a trouble... Midorima got in. Sora tried to take the ball, but she couldn't. Midorima scored with one of his three pointers.

The score was now 2 - 1.

Now, Sora was on offense. Midorima bent down before she even got in. So she couldn't use the same thing again... But then again, if he mispredicted... Left or right...

Midorima was watching her. Sora dribbled. At the last minute, she threw the ball over his head and caught it after crossing him. This time, she managed to score.

The score was 3 - 1.

Midorima went for offense. This time to he managed to step around Sora and shoot.

Sora was in a fix. Midorima was a consistent shooter at the least. He would probably score every time he was on offense. If Sora didn't score every time she was on offense, she might end up losing.

The score was now 3 - 2.

This time Sora was on offense. This time Midorima was in a normal position. This couldn't be good...

This time, Sora, not knowing what to do, got into a low dribble again. This time when she went for a drive Midorima simply kept blocking her path, making no effort to take the ball. Sora simply threw the ball towards the hoop because she ran out of options. Only then did her blunder occur to her. Midorima was closer to the hoop than she was. His stride was also longer. Rebound! He easily outpaced her and got the ball. He scored again.

The score was tied. 3 - 3.

Now Midorima was on offense again.

He used the same technique that he had employed before. Low dribble, enter a few paces and shoot.

3 - 4.

It was then that she noticed a few things. Despite his previous warning, he had the tendency of repeating strategies which he thought were effective with only slight modulation. And also the way he shot.... He looked as if contemplating his method for a split second. There were approximately two split second pauses... One of them...

Sora shook herself. Unless she could get this ball in, this would be of no use anyway...

"Do your best, Sora-chan!" said Akira looking at her pausing.

"This match is unexpectedly interesting..." commented Aomine.

Murasakibara was thoughtfully munching on a granola bar looking at both of them. Akashi too was merely looking from one to the other.

Woah, the audience seemed even more tense and shifty than they were... Shifty? Shifty! Yes... That could actually work!

Both of them took up their positions. Sora got into her low dribble position. This match was getting really repetitive with uncannily varying outcomes.

Midorima too lowered himself but not too much. So, her previous trick wouldn't work... Left or right then...

Sora quickly moved to her left dribbling using her left hand. Midorima was quick to moved left. But then Sora switched to her right hand and moved towards the hoop. Midorima had gone a bit farther to the left because of his stride. Sora repeated the same thing, switching the ball until she was able to score.

The score was now tied at 4 - 4.

Sora was panting from the exertion. No one said anything. Midorima took his position beyond the half court line. Midorima had proved exceptional at offense against her so far. However...

Midorima entered the court but Sora made no move to stop him. He switched from dribbling to shooting position. There was a split second pause while he adjusted the ball in his hand. Sora had been waiting for that. She touched the ball. In that stance it was enough to knock it out. Sora took the ball towards the hoop switching it now and then. Midorima was close in pursuit. He got between her and the hoop. Sora jumped a little as if she was shooting. Midorima raised both his hands instinctively. But she was faking. She went around and scored.

5 - 4.

A completely unexpected result.

Midorima was the first to break the silence.

"Well played, nanodayo."

"Thank you. You too. I bet Cancers have better days."

"They do," he said with a smile, "And Leo should probably be wary then, nanodayo."

"Right who's next?" said Akashi.

Murasakibara had just finished his granola.

"Let's go, Mine-chin. Remember you told me that you would treat me if I won..."

"I never said such a thing! Anyway, let's go."