An issue of granolas

Chapter 6:

An issue of granolas

Sora looked at her friend in dismay. "Akira-san! Did you actually forget your lunch!" Akira shrugged. "I left it on the table and forgot to bring it..."

"Today is Friday. Don't you have double practice?" asked Sora suspiciously.

"Yeah, but captain may take pity on me. That way I can go home and watch... Oh damn!"

Sora sighed. "Skipping practice for a TV show! That's so like you Akira!"

"It's not just a TV show! And besides I'm not cutting..."

"Quit it, Akira! I'll get you lunch if it kills me! And if worst comes to worst... you can have mine."

Akira hadn't expected that. "What will you do?"

"I'll get something from the cafeteria... Here eat mine." Sora pushed her lunch towards Akira and left for the cafeteria.

Sora hadn't realize how quickly lunch would sell out. All that was left was a few varieties of sandwiches , none of which she liked. Sighing, Sora bought one anyway and made to leave the cafeteria. But she was distracted by some commotion which was taking place near the entrance.

The guy called Murasakibara was rifling frantically through his backpack while continuously muttering something. The rest of the g.o.m were watching and occasionally providing soothing comments. Sora couldn't help it. She stopped to watch.

"Aka-chin, how many times do I tell you! It's gone! It was my favourite flavour too! I can't take this.... They don't sell it here!"

"Calm down, Atsushi. We'll get it somewhere. It can't have vanished just like that..."

"It's gone!"

Akashi sighed and rubbed his temples. "Umm...excuse me, have you seen a strawberry flavoured granola bar?" said someone behind Sora making her jump in shock.

"Oh, it's you Kuroko-san! And no... In fact I have no idea what is happening here..."

"Murasakibara-kun lost his granola bar. We're helping him search for it."

"All this fuss over a granola bar?"

"Please make sure he doesn't hear you. That was his favourite flavour and apparently they don't sell it everywhere. Even though I don't understand it... It's important to Murasakibara-kun. So we're helping him find it."

"I see. I'll help you then. Though I think asking people and searching for it blindly is going to be pointless. Do you know if they sell it anywhere?"

"Murasakibara-kun bought it near his home. I'm afraid he'll refuse to play in the practice match if we don't find it..."

Sora shook her head. The g.o.m were really eccentric people.

Just then Haizaki entered the cafeteria. "Yo. 'Sup people?" The g.o.m looked at him. Finally Midorima answered him. "Murasakibara lost his granola bar."

"Eh? You mean this thing?" he said holding up a wrapper. It was the wrapper of a strawberry flavoured granola bar. The g.o.m started talking at once. Sora didn't know what came over her."You're lying." she said calmly.

Haizaki turned to face her. "What was that?"

"You're just doing this to annoy him--"

"What the hell do you know, you nose-poking girl. Go mind your business."

"Kuroko-san asked me to help. Judging by what I know of you, you'd easily steal Murasakibara-kun's granola. But the point is you--"

"--Would do it in front of him, because you would do this solely to annoy him," finished Akashi nodding at Sora, "But the fact that you have a wrapper means that you know where it's sold. Where did you buy this Haizaki?"

"I ain't telling you"

"Haizaki... Did you actually-"

" Yeah. Beat me at a game of basketball and I'll tell you."

"Are you aware that it is lunch and people actually have to eat--" began Sora but Akashi cut her off and said " Fine. But you keep your end of the bargain. Otherwise..."

"You're on."

Sora sighed. Boys...

As expected, Haizaki was defeated and was successfully forced to reveal the location of the shop. It turned out to be somewhat near Teiko. The entire g.o.m accompanied by Sora went to buy it for Murasakibara. But by the time they returned, lunch was almost over.

They settled down to utilize the last five minutes of lunch when Akira stormed in. "Sora! I've been searching all over for you. Looks like you can have your lunch after all! I heard everything was sold out! Luckily, I found a big granola bar outside our class. So I'm good to go!" she said holding a big thumbs-up.

Everyone looked at each other.