Qualifiers

Author's note #5:

Nothing is as tedious as have to read an entire game in writing..... So I'll skip the qualifier matches. But anyway, I may include the quarter, semi and finals....

***************************************************

Chapter 52:

Qualifiers

"We did it Akira-san!" Sora was grinning madly.

"Yeah!" screamed Akira, who looked nearly intoxicated.

They had done well. Even by Honami's standards. The team was now celebrating in the locker room.

"Right team, let's call it a day." said Honami. "Go. Get some rest. We've passed one hurdle......"

***************************************************

Sora gave Akira a high-five. "Next up, the semi!"

"But we don't have to worry about that for a long time. It's in the third term."

"It's two and a half months from now, Akira-san." reminded Sora.

"And that does count as a long time. Man I'm thirsty.... I'll get some juice. I think I saw a vending machine. Want something?"

"Nah, I'm good. Go ahead. I'll meet you near the gate."

***************************************************

Akira saw Aomine near the vending machine. He just raised his eyebrows.

"Yup. We won." smiled Akira. "You guys?"

"Yeah right....."

Akira frowned. Aomine sounded a bit vexed. "Mine-kun. You won didn't you? What's the matter then?"

"If you call that winning!" he frowned. "I can't make out how the hell a team like that made it into the qualifiers. Their play was like .........."

"Mine-kun! Oi, you guys are good so you can't blame them for....."

"Hell I can! They stopped playing halfway! God, I want to punch one of them...."

"Oh." Akira had no idea what to say.

Aomine leant against the machine. "You know, I keep asking myself why the bloody hell I even bother to play when they're like that... The next time in practice......"

"It'll get better." said Akira slowly. "You haven't played the finals yet. So you don't know who the best is yet. The worst is yet to come!"

Aomine looked at her and shrugged. "Tell them to give their worst. Say... you wanted juice right...."

"Yeah..."

"You know, I think this thing's broken. If you hit it at just the right spot, a can might fall out...."

"Mine-kun! Don't even think about it!"

******************************************************

Sora ran into Hajime Ritsuko, the Kamiya team's captain, on her way out.

"Senpai?"

"Oh. Weren't you on Honami's team?"

"Yeah?"

"How did it go? Though it's almost pointless to ask you guys...."

"It went well, senpai. We won." said Sora with a smile.

"As expected of Teiko. Well, we're probably coming in the future." said Ritsuko with a wink. "You guys better watch out."

" 'kay."

"Oh, and tell your senpai to give me a call if you see her."

"Right!"