Chapter 23: A Piece Of Bread

Somi was about to leave The Broken Bull to fetch Madame Roseanne. She left the other girls with various tasks, ranging from cooking breakfast to cleaning.

They planned a small surprise party to celebrate the Madame's return. And aside from Somi, the others had no idea that Rose had little time left.

There was a small carriage waiting for Somi outside The Broken Bull. She didn't want Rose to walk from the castle grounds back to the bar. The distance was not far, but the path along Galesong Hill sloped downwards and might be too dangerous for Rose's condition.

"Good morning~. To the castle grounds, please.", said Somi to the carriage driver. A pair of horses pulled the carriage, and the ride was quite bumpy since there was only one passenger.

Somi took a deep breath and tried not to worry. She looked out the open window and saw a familiar figure walking down the hill by herself.

"Stubborn as always.", thought Somi. She was about to point Rose out to the driver when Rose suddenly stopped, convulsed, and fell on the ground.

"SIR! GO TO HER, PLEASE! AS FAST AS YOU CAN!", shouted Somi.

She reached Rose a few seconds just after Jennie. Rose had her eyes closed and clenched tight. She was biting her tip too hard that it was bleeding as her veins bulged and showed along her neck.

Aside from her twitching eyes and lips, none of her other body parts moved. Rose laid on the cold, snowy ground, sweating buckets and burning hot.

"Somi... What's going on!! What do I do!!", asked Jennie in a crazed panic as tears fell from her eyes. She couldn't even touch Rose since when she tried to hold her hand a few minutes ago, Rose bit harder on her lips.

Jennie kept shaking. She felt helpless and utterly useless as she kneeled beside Rose on the ground.

A small crowd slowly gathered around them. Whispers turned into gossip and eventually loud conversations when the onlookers recognized who it was on the ground.

Even Somi had no idea what to do. She had prepared a healing room back at The Broken Bull for Rose, but the after-effects got to her first. She knew that she couldn't move Rose, at least not until the after-effects lessened.

And from what she remembered, that took around twelve hours.

"Jennie, I need you to get something for Rose to lie on, some water, something to shield her from the snow. And we need to keep the people back. We can't have a crowd here.", said Somi weakly, her voice almost failing to come out.

There was no response. Jennie was just looking at Rose's face and crying.

Somi held Jennie's hand and called her name louder and more clearly this time.

"Jennie. Jennie. Hey!"

Jennie looked at Somi when she heard her name.

"Somi... What do we do? She was smiling and laughing last night. Is she poisoned? I can get some healing herbs t--"

"Jennie. Calm down. Listen to me."

Somi squeezed Jennie's hand and repeated her earlier request. "Did you remember all that?", asked Somi.

Jennie nodded blankly.

"Jennie. Please. I need you to focus right now. We need privacy and security, a blanket, water, and some cover, okay? Rose needs you."