Chapter 37: Training Grounds

"The first time you used magic was back when you were four years old. It was heavy winter, and you were building a snowman with your best friend. You wanted the snowman to be a girl, and Soo-Hyun wanted it to be a boy. You argued and fought until Soo-Hyun kicked the snowman and went back home. You were already crying when your mother and I approached."

They were having breakfast on the long table when Jennie asked if her parents ever saw her use magic before.

The table had a variety of freshly baked bread, a bowl of scrambled eggs with rosemary, and some homemade fruit preserves. They were drinking hot chocolate with little pieces of white snowberries floating on top.

"You were crying when I approached you, Nini. I told you that Soo-Hyun didn't mean it and that we should rebuild the snowman.", continued Jisoo.

"And that's when the magic happened. You touched the snow, and it melted.", said George.

"But that's what snow does, right? It melts because humans are warm inside.", said Seulgi.

"We were all wearing thick gloves, so we can hold a snowball for an hour without it melting. Jennie lifted a winter melon-sized snowball. It melted within five seconds."

"I remember that fight with Soo-Hyun, but not all the details. I remember crying for a long time though.", recalled Jennie.

"You kept trying to hold snowballs, and they would keep on melting. When we approached, you kept running away with your hands in your pockets. You were shouting that your hands would melt us if we got too close.", said Jisoo.

"I had to knock you unconscious, Nini. We were scared that you were using evocation magic and emitting heat through your hands", explained George.

"We didn't want you to burn yourself."

Jisoo held Jennie's hands since she could tell that Jennie was confused. Everyone around the table just listened quietly

"Wait... Appa, you hit me when I was four? Is that why I always have a stiff neck? And evocado magic? Slow down, guys. This is way too much information over breakfast."

Jennie looked at her hands and then touched her nape. She looked at Rose, who was quietly listening, and asked, "Did you ever see me do anything slightly magical when I was in Almiana?"

"Aside from the visions and the dreamwalking, I'm afraid I haven't. And your stiff neck is because the pillows that the servants use are terrible. A sack of rice would be more comfortable."

"Uhmmm... Miss Jisoo, you mentioned... evocation magic... What exactly is that?", asked Seulgi. She had pieces of paper beside her plate and was taking down notes while listening to the story. She was chewing on a piece of bread while staring at Jisoo with curious eyes.

Rose couldn't help but smile when she saw how cute Seulgi looked.

"It's one of the magic types. Those of you who want to join Jennie in her training may do so. Finish your meals. Take your baths. Then meet me in the basement in an hour.", said Jisoo before taking a deep breath and looking at each person in the table one after the other. She then stood up with her plate and went to the sink.

George followed after and approached his wife by the sink.

"I'll have to do my rounds around the outskirts of town. Will you be okay by yourself?", whispered George while hugging Jisoo from behind.

"I won't lose control again, George. Don't worry.", whispered Jisoo back. She looked over her shoulder and gave her husband a quick kiss.

"I know you won't. I trust you. Go and prepare. I'll handle this.", answered George before taking over the sink and washing the dishes.