Chapter 18: The First Trial part 8, Overflow

"If you lose your way, the spirits will be happy to help. I will send word to everyone that you mean us no harm."

That was the last advice that Queen Hara whispered to Jennie. They left the queen's resting place and went their way.

Jennie looked back one last time, and for a brief second, she saw the image of an elven lady with long black hair and porcelain skin. Beautiful was an understatement, as Queen Hara smiled at her and waved her hand. Jennie smiled and waved back.

"We have only enough water for another day of travel. And a single piece of bread.", said Lisa as she checked her small bag.

"This is more familiar to me now. We are quite close.", said Chen.

The walls were now covered with skulls from floor to ceiling. The torches were fewer and far between in this area of the catacombs. And it smelled different too.

"I wish I still have some lavender.", commented Jennie while wearing her sad pouty face.

Chen saved the lavender that Jennie gave him from when they entered and gave it back to Jennie. It had only a few small buds left.

"I'm used to the smell here.", said Chen with a smile.

Jennie smiled and shared the flower buds with Lisa and Rose. She kept the stem of lavender in her pocket and said, "Thank you, Chen."

Chen nodded. He felt dizzy after moving his head. Chen had to stop walking and placed his hand on the wall, closing his eyes and waiting for the world to stop spinning.

It was Lisa who noticed first.

"Let's rest for a few minutes if we find a good place to sit down.", said Lisa to the group.

"No need, my prince. We are almost there. I am fine.", said Chen.

Jennie took the last piece of bread in Lisa's bag and looked at Lisa. Lisa nodded.

Jennie looked at Rose next.

Rose smiled and nodded as well.

"Hey, Chen. You should eat. We know that you've been eating less during meals.", said Jennie.

"It's okay. I'm not hungry.", answered Chen.

"You will not be helpful in your current state. How will you protect Madame Roseanne if you get dizzy every time you move your head too fast?", said Lisa.

Chen looked at the two girls and the prince... He sighed out loud and took the bread. They walked slower until the tunnel they were in opened into a small cavern.

There were two new paths in front of them.

The tunnel on the left was wider but was quite dark. Aside from the many footsteps along the entrance, they couldn't see anything else. There were no sources of light, but some distant screams were coming from the dark.

The narrower tunnel on the right had no footsteps coming from it. The familiar reddish-orange light could be seen at the far end of the right tunnel. There was a cold wind blowing from it.

"This was the tunnel in my dream...", said Jennie as she pointed at the path on the right.

"Where does the other one lead, Chen?", asked Lisa who was inspecting the ground.

"It's where the prisoners are. Those sounds you hear are probably them.", answered Chen.

"Prisoners? What for?", asked Rose as she went towards the left path and held her torch further in.