Chapter 4: How Jennie Met The Prince

I was born in Midea, a small village west of the capital city. It was quite close to the border but still part of the Kingdom of Almiana.

I didn't have any siblings nor any other relatives. It was just my parents and me.

My father is a farmer. Pumpkins, eggplants, bitter gourds, and other vegetables were his specialty. But I think he used to be an adventurer. He tells me a lot of stories from his past. I think most of them are true.

My mother is a herbalist who specializes in the use of artemis leaf, lavender, clarisage, and other herbs for healing. She can also use a little bit of magic. And she's also very beautiful. I think she got her looks from me.

In the seventh month of each year, we would go and visit the capital city to join the annual harvest festival. We would stay for three days and those three days were my favorite out of the entire year.

It was super fun when I was a kid. And even now, I still look forward to the yearly festival for many reasons.

"I didn't ask for your life story, Jennie. I'm asking why the prince is wounded and hiding in my bar.", commented Rose.

I'm getting to that part now. So, I met the prince seven years ago. Well. I didn't meet her yet, but it was the first time I saw her.

"You mean him?"

Ohhh. Sorry. Yes, I meant him. Duh! Prince Lee is a guy.

"Just keep going."

Anyway, we were in town for the harvest festival that year. On the second day, one of the king's advisers approached my mother to get her opinion regarding the king's health.

You see, my mother is one of the best herbalist, if not the best, in the entire kingdom. She once cured a soldier who had boils all over his body by bathing him with crushed aceras and mint. She's a genius when it comes to healing herbs.

Anyway, I accompanied my mother towards the castle and carried the herbs for her. It was wonderful. I felt like I was in another world.

They led us inside the castle grounds, past the outer court, and into the inner keep. There, the royal guards escorted my mother to the king's chambers. I obviously had to stay outside. They didn't allow me anywhere near the king.

So being the curious thirteen-year-old that I was, I decided to take a walk around the inner keep. I was walking across a beautiful grassy field when an arrow almost pierced my head. It whooshed a few inches in front of me and hit a target that I hadn't notice before.

"MISS! ARE YOU OKAY??!!! WHY ARE YOU WALKING IN THE SHOOTING RANGE?", shouted a tall, muscular man as he ran towards me.

I noticed then that the grass field I was taking a stroll in was an archery range. After explaining who I was to that tall man, I saw a young man behind him, pulling on the bow and shooting again.

Just like the shot that almost ended my life, it was another bullseye.

A guard took me back to where I was supposed to wait and stared at me for the next half hour until my mother finished whatever she did.

When I told my mother about what happened, her eyes widened, and she smacked me in the head with her herb pouch. She waited until we were back in the inn we were staying at before explaining to me who those people were.