Chapter 11: The First Trial part 1, The Three Champions

As the golden sun began to rise, servants rushed back and forth between all areas of the castle. Some were preparing breakfast while others were cleaning the halls for the new day ahead. A few others were just finishing their night duties and were on their way back to their quarters for some early morning sleep.

Another group of people who just finished their night work were the scholars who studied the stars. On a typical day, they would leave the archives at the break of dawn and lock it.

But not today.

They stifled their yawns and waited impatiently for one person to finish her research. While they didn't mind having a member of the inner keep have such an appetite for knowledge, the lack of sleep made it hard to tolerate.

And it didn't help that this member of the inner keep was a lowly servant.

"Why must we listen to you again, miss?", asked one of the clearly irritated scholars. He appeared to be the head of the group based on the tall hat he wore.

"Because the research I am doing is for the sake of Prince Lee. As I said, I was the other student who studied alongside him before. And he requested that I study these maps for him as soon as possible. You can ask him yourself. I have no reason to lie since lying would mean my death.", answered Jennie.

The scholars let out a collective sigh as they remained standing and watched as Jennie kept staring at the many pieces of parchment that are laid out on the long table in front of her.

"I would have been done hours ago if you just let me borrow or copy the maps...", said Jennie.

"Rules are rules, miss. You can choose any other document and borrow it to study in your room, but not the map of the sewers underneath the city. It is dangerous information that must not fall under the wrong hands. Even if it's the queen who needs these maps, she would have to go here and look at them..."

The head scholar went on and on about the strict rules that everyone must follow, making it harder for Jennie to memorize the various drawings and notes on the twenty or so maps that she needed.

She was on her last page when the doors to the archives opened. It was the new set of scholars who were about to begin their duties for the brand-new day.

The night scholars' eyes lit up immediately.

They rushed to meet the head of the morning shift to turn over their overtime duty. They made sure to notify the new set of scholars of what items Jennie had requested to read.

And while the two scholar heads were busy conferring between them, Jennie finished with the last page.

"DONE!! Sir... I apologize for taking longer than I hoped. I will make sure to inform Prince Lee of your dedication and love for your duty. Thank you and have a wonderful day.", said Jennie to the head night scholar. She bowed politely but didn't wait to be acknowledged before running off as quickly as she could.

~~~~~

The prince sat with his chosen companions inside the antechamber to the throne room. In a few minutes, the queen will call on them.

"You seem nervous, my Prince?", asked Rose as she held Lisa's hand and smiled beautifully.

"HA! Why am I not surprised that your future ruler has such a close relationship with the Madame? Hey, Prince Lee, between one man to the other, how amazing was she really? I've heard rumors of how Madame Roseanne can make anyone come with her mouth alone... And I don't mean her singing.", commented the rough man.