Chapter 15: The First Trial part 5, The Four Leaders

Lisa was the first to wake up. She just had a terrible nightmare. Her whole body ached from her awkward sleeping position. And as she was about to stretch her arms, she felt something in her hands.

She opened her eyes and saw a hand. Familiar but colder than usual. Lisa looked forward and saw her face.

Lips that were supposed to be pinkish and smiling were white and dry. The soft and rosy cheeks that Lisa remembered were covered in dry blood. The warmth of Jennie's smile was not there.

"It wasn't a nightmare...", thought Lisa as she fixed Jennie's hair.

When Lisa remembered everything that happened, she gently lifted the blanket that covered Jennie's body. The left side of her shirt had been cut and removed. Herbal patches were covering two spots in her body, one for the spear and one for the arrow that Lisa shot Jennie with.

Lisa was about to lift the patches when she heard Rose behind her.

"Leave them. I placed medicine against infection on the patches.", Rose said softly.

Lisa turned around and saw Rose sitting on the floor, opposite the small fire. Chen was resting with his head on Rose's lap, the front of his chest covered with patches as well.

Around them were weapons, clothes, and even a few pieces of bread that Rose salvaged earlier. Lisa couldn't help but feel ashamed of herself.

"I have failed, Rose. Let us return and beg for our lives. I would offer mine to save the three of you.", whispered Lisa underneath her breath.

"And what makes you think that the queen won't kill all four of us? We are still alive, Prince Lee. Whatever reason our dear Queen Sayeon had, her decision to give you the trial this early works in our favor.", answered Rose.

"What do you mean?", asked Lisa.

"You have plenty of time to complete this trial, my prince. Normally, an heir would only have one month to complete all three trials, but you have ten. We will rest, we will recover, and we will succeed. All four of us will return alive. I promise you..."

During their entire conversation, Rose's eyes never left the entrance. She felt tired and sleepy, and it showed.

"Get some rest, Rose. I'll take watch.", said Lisa.

"With all due respect, my prince. You need the rest more than I do.", answered Rose.

"What time of the day is it?", asked Lisa.

"It's early evening. A few hours had passed since our battle in the lake. Being underground with no sky above us, I have a feeling that we will lose our sense of time eventually. Get some more sleep, Prince Lee. I will wake you later when I feel tired."

Lisa nodded and smiled. She knew that Rose was calling her Prince Lee just in case Chen would wake up and hear. Hiding her real gender seemed unnecessary, considering the circumstances they were in. But Rose was always careful.

Lisa returned her attention to Jennie and placed her palm on Jennie's forehead. She was still cold despite being too close to the fire.

"She's so cold... I can't lose her...", Lisa said very softly.

"She needs warmth. I couldn't cover her completely since her wound needs to breathe for it to heal.", answered Rose.

She heard shuffling to her side and took a quick glance at Jennie and the prince. Rose smiled and returned her attention to the entrance.

Lisa positioned herself to lie down beside Jennie. She placed her left arm under Jennie's head and pressed her body against Jennie's. Lisa then wrapped her legs over Jennie's and pulled the blanket on top of them. She used her right arm to keep the blanket from touching Jennie's wounds.