Chapter 12: The First Trial part 2, Visions

A few minutes ago, inside the ante-chamber.

"Your highness, please think this through.", begged General Shindong once Lisa told him that Jennie would take his place.

"General Shindong. I think it's time I told you the truth about those exams the scholars had us take.", said Lisa with a smile.

"Exactly. You had perfect scores while your servant struggled with the most basic knowledge. A little child would score higher than her. No offense, Miss Jennie.", said the general.

"Ohh... None taken, General Shindong. But I think you need to have a word with the prince.", Jennie said with a smile.

"We wrote down each other's names, General Shindong. We have the same handwriting, so nobody noticed it. My servant, Jennie, is the person who got the highest scores in the past ten years."

This revelation from the prince made the general kneel on one knee.

"Forgive me, your highness. I was simply exaggerating to make a point. I did not wish to imply that--"

"That's enough, general. Seeing you act like that once you found out that it was me and not my servant makes me think less of you."

Chen raised his hand to try and get everyone's attention.

"You may speak freely, Chen.", said Lisa.

"Well. I have to agree with our dear general here. I am willing to take care of my dear Madame Roseanne. I will make sure that we both make it back alive for our deal. But adding in a mere servant to our group just seems stupid, even if she is indeed super smart. Or are we letting her die once she has safely guided as there? A task that I could also do."

"No. I'll take care of her.", said Lisa.

"Then this has become a protection mission instead of an assassination attempt", said the general. 

Rose, who had been quietly listening, couldn't help it anymore. She stood up and went in between the general and Chen.

"Gentlemen, with all due respect, I think you'll find that I do not need any sort of protection.", Rose said with a smile.

After the words left her mouth, Rose looked at the two men on either side of her. Her eyes were smiling beautifully, and as they slowly closed, the lanterns flickered for a moment. And Rose was nowhere to be seen.

"If this were a blade, you would be bleeding, General Shindong.", whispered Rose from behind the general. She had the tip of her fan pressed on the general's neck.

"Amazing. I almost could not see you. What a woman.", said Chen with a big smile on his face. He then looked at Jennie. "How about you, servant? Any special skill we should know of?"

"Me?", Jennie asked.

Roseanne dropped her fan and returned to her seat while looking at Jennie. Even Lisa and the general waited for her to answer. All eyes were suddenly on Jennie as she lowered her head and said...

"Uhmmm... I can bake?"

Lisa couldn't help but smile while Chen let out a loud laugh. The general shook his head and pressed his palm to his face as the doors opened to the throne room.

The ceremony was about to begin.

~~~~~

The prince was the first to enter, followed by Rose and then Chen.

Only Jennie and General Shindong remained in the ante-chamber. And the general could see how nervous Jennie was.