Chapter 31: Nightmare part 7, Doors

Loren was leaning on the brown door and whistling without a care in the world. He was looking at his nails when he noticed the three kids looking at him from a distance. Loren waved at them and smiled.

"HEY! I FOUND THE DOOR FOR YOU!", shouted Loren towards the three.

"Shit.", cursed Jennie. A few citizens glared at her when she did.

Jennie and Rose sat back down and hid behind the stable wall.

"What do we do, Jennie?", asked Rose.

"Uhmm... Girls...", said Chen.

"Wait, I'm thinking. I can shower Loren with hot cooking oil if he stays in place.", suggested Jennie.

"I don't think he would even if we asked nicely.", said Rose.

"I can surround him with bows, but I haven't tried firing them yet. It'll be more like a bluff."

"I have a feeling he'll just catch the arrows.", answered Rose. She could see that Jennie wasn't confident at all.

They were so close to getting out. Only Loren stood in the way.

"Speaking of arrows... The baker is playing with some.", said Chen.

It took Loren one second to grab an arrow from his quiver and shoot. It flew straight towards Chen.

*whoosh~~*

Thankfully, Rose reacted quickly, and she managed to pull Chen out of the way.

"Why were you standing there and waving back at him?", asked Rose.

"What's wrong with that? Maybe Mr. Baker wants to give us some special bread.", answered Chen.

"HE JUST SHOT YOU WITH AN ARROW!", said Rose out loud.

"Calm down, Rose. We just have to think.", commented Jennie.

"We should just approach him and talk to him.", said Chen.

Rose's eyes widened when she heard Chen's idea. She couldn't tell if it was her subconscious who thought of it or not.

Jennie appeared to be considering it. She went over everything that Rose told her before.

"Rose, I think you should go and talk to him. Loren, kinda likes you, right?", said Jennie.

"Everyone likes me, Jennie. But won't he just kill me and put all our efforts to waste?", asked Rose.

"I think he is required to always kill Chen first. He can't kill you until you see Chen die. You were never afraid of Loren. He was never your fear. Your fear was being unable to save someone you care about."

Rose looked at the young boy who was eating the special bread that Jennie gave him. The way he smiled, the way his eyes closed when he ate something delicious. He looked exactly like Rose's best friend, Hank.