Chapter 66: Monsters In Their Midst

A/N: It's a long one, Snow Family. 

Taeyang was swimming in a lake of fresh carrots when loud voices outside his window woke him up.

"Tsk. I love that dream."

After a frustrated sigh, Taeyang sat up, cracked his window open, and glanced outside. He immediately got dressed, gathered his things, and went downstairs.

"Brother Top. Is everything okay? There are armed men outside your door.", asked Taeyang with a worried look.

"Mercenaries. They offered protection to the group you are escorting and are waiting here just like you. They tend to be loud and irritating.", replied Top.

"Oh no.", said Taeyang.

"I feel your pain, brother. But since client safety is our top priority, maybe it'll be okay. You'll just have to find a way to work together for the client's sake. Speaking of which, they're here."

The loud laughter from the mercenaries stopped, replaced by whistles and cheers. The door opened wide as a familiar little girl walked in.

Her eyes met Taeyang, and she immediately waved excitedly. A big smile formed on her mouth as she pulled her father's arm and whispered something to his ear. She then ran towards Taeyang and acted cute while asking, "Hey, Mister! Remember me?"

"Of course. How could I ever forget that beautiful smile? Good morning, Ji-Yoon.", said Taeyang.

"My daughter tells me that you were the one who gave us this gold coin.", said the tall man that followed behind Ji-Yoon. He bowed his head towards Taeyang and said, "Thank you."

"The pleasure's mine, sir. I haven't smiled and laughed like that in years. Wait, are you by any chance the group that needed a guide to Almiana?", asked Taeyang. He looked at his Brother Top and then at the man in front of him.

"Yup. That's them. Meet Lord August Kim, leader of the performing group known as the Bad Bananas. Mr. Kim, this handsome elf is Taeyang. He will be your guide to Almiana.", answered Top.

"Please. No need for fancy titles here. We're all family.". replied August with a smile. "I was under the impression when we spoke yesterday morning that nobody had accepted my request. That's why I hired those mercenaries outside to protect us."

"I arrived in the evening, Mr. Kim, and I am on my way home, which is in the same direction as your destination. I'll be happy to escort you to Almiana, free of charge.", said Taeyang with a smile as he held his hand out.

August Kim shook his hand and then placed the gold coin in it after.

"The truth is I haven't given up on finding a guide. That's why I asked the mercenaries to meet us here. We were blessed with a generous audience last night, so I wanted to hire a guide, even if it costs us a little more. And whether it be coincidence or fate, something brought us together. So here you go.", said August. He closed Taeyang's hand around the gold coin.

"This is too much, Mr. Kim.", said Taeyang. He tried to open his hand, but August kept it close.

"You made my daughter smile, and that's worth much more than this.", insisted August. 

Taeyang nodded his head. He placed the gold coin back in his pouch as he scanned the group.

They were all wearing thick white coats with big hoods that covered their heads entirely. The adults had walking sticks with three colored cloths tied at the end; green, orange, and red. Any guide would be able to tell that they've crossed the desert many times.