Chapter 65: A New Beginning

The sun was yet to rise when Taeyang got up from his bed. He scrunched his nose and squinted his eyes as he cracked his neck.

"Five more minutes.", Taeyang said with a smile as he laid back down and embraced his wife, Hyo-Rin.

"You said that five minutes ago.", answered the beautiful lady without opening her eyes. But despite her complaint, Hyo-Rin took Taeyang's hand in hers and cuddled with him for another five minutes.

...

...

"Time's up!", said Hyo-Rin. She opened her eyes and positioned her feet on Taeyang's stomach. And with all her strength, Hyo-Rin kicked Taeyang off the bed.

Taeyang landed hard on his butt, waking him up immediately. He stood up while whistling in pain as he looked at his wife, who was now sitting up.

"How long will you be gone this time?", asked Hyo-Rin as she folded their blanket.

"Not too long, I hope. Maybe a week and a half.", answered Taeyang as he stretched his arms above his head.

Hyo-Rin stood up just in time to position herself in between Taeyang's arms. She placed her head on Taeyang's chest and whispered, "Be careful, my love. Remember your promise, okay?"

"I will never forget.", said Taeyang as he held Hyo-Rin in a gentle embrace. He kissed Hyo-Rin on the lips and then bent down on one knee and kissed his wife's stomach. "I'll be right back, little one.", whispered Taeyang.

With a thick hooded coat on and a bag over his shoulder, Taeyang left his small home and walked out into the still-dark morning.

They lived in the village of Roetem, located at the outskirts of the White Forest, right at the cusp of the Frozen Desert.

It is a checkpoint and rest stop for travelers coming in from the desert or going out and across it. That is why most of its citizens work as guides to explorers and adventurers who are brave enough (or stupid enough) to venture into the snow-covered desert.

"Brother Daesung? Are you up?", Taeyang called out while knocking at the two-story building beside his home. A wooden board hung above his head with the words Rice and Shine printed on it. It was a tavern known for its fantastic rice meals and sweet moonshine.

The door opened, and a human man in his late twenties looked at Taeyang with sleepy eyes.

"You got a job again?", asked Daesung while yawning.

"Yes, brother. I came over to ask you to look over my wife once more. I will be gone for ten days, maybe two weeks tops.", answered Taeyang. He pulled five silver coins from his pouch and handed them over.

"Tsk. Put that away. And stay right there.", answered Daesung to Taeyang.

Taeyang watched as Daesung walked towards the bar and lifted a pack of some kind. 

"Here. The wife prepared too much last night, so I packed some for you", said Daesung with shy eyes.

"I'll take your delicious food only if you take my coin.", insisted Taeyang. He knew full well that Daesung had the food prepared on purpose.

"Fine. I'll take your COIN. Not coins, just one."

"Thank you, brother.", said Taeyang with a smile.

"Be safe out there. You hear me? I am not raising your kid if something happens to you.", said Daesung jokingly as he glared at Taeyang.

"Yes, brother. I know.", answered Taeyang while glaring back jokingly.